On April 19, 1950 a faculty committee selected a group of outstanding female students to form an honorary oganization for outstanding senior women students. The women (Beggy Boston, Evelyn Borodie, Penelope Coffe, Peggy Crowder, Eva Farnsworth, Eva Graveley, Louann Hardy, Yvonne Harris, Mary Ruth Hartman, Joyce Hinds, Mary Nan Hudgins, Connie Jo Kubecka, Dott Sala, Ruth Shoenfield, and Elsie Whitlock) submitted an application for Maximus in May, 1950. the application was approved by B. B. Harris, Dean of Administration, Imagne Bentley, Dean of Women, and V. J. Craig, Chair of the Campus Clubs Committee. The name was changed to Meritum before the first Calling Out. Members had to have at least a "B" average with a junior standing, and have been a student at the school for two years. Members were chosen on the basis of leadership, scholarship, and service. The first faculty sponsor was Helen Wilfong of the Journalism Department. Imogene Bentley served as the sole member of the Advisory Board. The first Calling Out was held on May 22, 1950. The new members were: Virginia Coffee, Abigail Daly, Peggy Dendy, Jan Dowling, Bonnie Goodman, Natalie Hammack, Nita Heard, Beverly More, Lovenia Oldham, Wanda Ovrill, Susan Schimelpfenig, Martha Scott, Alma Sue Taylor, and Leota Vincent. Meritum was responsible for establishing Honors Day in 1950 to recognize twelve students for their academic achievements. Honors Day is now co-sponsored and co-chaired by the Division of Student Affairs and the Honors College. Meritum started the process of becoming a Mortar Board chapter in 1966. In April, 1968 Mortar Board officially accepted the University of North Texas chapter. Mortar Board accepted male members in 1975 after the passage of Title IX, which banned gender discrimination.