The Army Specialized Training Program was designed to train junior officers and specialists to meet military needs during World War II. The aim of the ASTP was to provide a reservoir of qualified soldiers to meet the needs of various services for technicians, specialists, and officers. The Solders entered the program based on their scores on a pre-induction test. The men had to be between the ages of 17 and 22. The students took basic military training before their assignment to schools that ran ASTP on campus. After finishing their course of study, the soldiers were assigned to active military units.
The North Texas State Teachers College (now the University of North Texas) unit was activated in July and began instruction in August 1943. Soldiers were classified as students and originally lived in the college cooperative unit on Avenue A. University instructors were assigned to the program and the soldiers were taught in separate groups from the civilian students. The soldiers schedule did not coincide with the college calendar. The soldiers were given three twelve week terms with courses in mathematics, chemistry, physics, geography, English, history, engineering, drawing, and physical training. By December, 1943, the Army had requested the use of Chilton Hall to house the ASTP soldiers.
Mr. Dixie Boyd was the business manager at North Texas State College (now the University of North Texas). He was the valedictorian of his class at Lewisville High School. He attended the University of Texas, but finished his degree at North Texas State College. He married Nellie A. Knight on June 24, 1908. They had three daughters (Bernice, Ruth, and Dixie) and one son (Dixon). Mrs. Boyd died in 1946. He taught school for seven years. He then worked for the Denton County Nation Bank from 1914 to 1930. Mr. Boyd started his career as a bookkeeper in 1930 at North Texas State College and became business manager in 1932. Mr. Boyd was also a member of the Denton Chamber of Commerce. By his retirement in 1955, his title was comptroller-treasurer. He served UNT for 25 years.
Clara Nena Russell Brewer (1896-1967) and Cyrus F. Brewer(1892-1977) of Fort Worth, Texas made education their life focus. Cyrus attended the North Texas State Normal College in 1916. He was the vice-president of the freshman class in that year. He was a member of the army during World War I. Mr. Brewer served in the 90th Division of the U. S. Army. He returned to North Texas in 1920-1921. Mr. Brewer earned his Teachers Temporary Certificate in 1921 and had it renewed in 1928 and 1931. Cyrus married Clara on June 2, 1928. In 1940, he earned his Bachelor of Science degree and received his Master of Science degree in 1948 from Texas Christian University. Clara Brewer received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Texas Christian University in June 1917. They taught school in a small two-teacher school in the White Settlement area of Fort Worth, Texas. Mr. Brewer served as principal of Riverside grade school and became the superintendent of White Settlement schools in 1932. As the school district grew, three schools were named in Cyrus’s honor. In 1955, the new High School in White Settlement was named C. F. Brewer High School.
William “Bill” Wheat Collins, Jr. (1913-2008) graduated from Sherman High School in 1930. He attended Texas A& M College and then worked for the Texas Cooperative Cotton Association, the Kimbell Milling Company, and with numerous dance bands. He returned to college in 1934 at North Texas State Teachers College (now the University of North Texas). He played trumpet with the Stage Band. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 1937 and a Master of Science in 1938. He would also study at John Hopkins University and graduate from the Maxwell School of Public Administration at Syracuse University and the Southwest School of Banking at SMU. In 1941, he worked as an economist with the Federal Power Commission in Washington, D. C. He served in the Navy during World War II. Mr. Collins joined the Fort Worth regional office of Public Housing Administration. Mr. Collins married Margaret Binkley Collins in 1947 and were together for 55 years until her death in 2002. By 1955, he was the regional economist for that office. By 1960, he was the deputy regional administrator for the Fort Worth office of Housing and Home Finance Agency. Mr. Collins represented the United States in Cairo, Egypt at a housing conference at the request of President Johnson. In 1965, he was elected chairman of the Dallas-Fort Worth federal executive board and appointed the first regional administrator for the Southwest regional office of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Mr. Collins was elected chair of the Southwest federal regional council in 1966. He served as a member of the steering committee for the establishment of the Tarrant County Junior College system and as principal federal adviser for the creation of the North Central Texas Council of Governments. Mr. Collins was appointed special assistant to the Housing and Urban Development secretary in 1970. He directed the response to Hurricane Celia that hit the Corpus Christi area. He drafted a manual for use by HUD in before his retirement in 1972. He was named a University of North Texas Distinguished Alumnus in 1988. He received the first Dean’s Award for “Outstanding and Continuing Contributions to the Musical Life of the College” in 1998.
Louis Fred Connell, Jr. (1914-2003) earned his Bachelor’s degree from the Texas College of Arts and Industries (now Texas A&M University at Kingsville) in 1934. He earned his Master’s degree (1936) and doctorate (1948) in physics from the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Connell married Geraldine Jopling in Kingsville in 1938. He joined the North Texas State Teachers College (now the University of North Texas) in 1937 as Physics instructor. From 1942 to 1945, he served in the Navy. Following World War II, he was an assistant professor of physics at the University of Texas at Austin, 1947-1951. In 1951, he became a member of the Physics faculty at the University of North Texas, a position he would hold until 1975. He was the department chair from 1951 to 1969.
Edward John Coomes, Jr. (1929-2004) was born in Missouri and attended Catholic schools and Rockhurst Jesuit College. He served in the Navy in the Korean War. He pursued his graduate studies at the University of Kansas and Mainz University in West Germany as a Fulbright Scholar. He taught history as a graduate assistant at the University of Kansas from 1958 to 1963. He came to the University of North Texas in 1963 where worked as a faculty member until his retirement in 2000. Professor Coomes was a member of the Boy Scouts of America for sixty-five years. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Sigma Nu, Delta Epsilon Sigma, and Phi Alpha Theta among others.
William Earl Cooper (1911 - ) was born in 1911 in Ellis County, Texas to Charles Edward Cooper and Lillie Belle Smith. He graduated from Frost High School in 1933. Mr. Cooper attended Randolph Junior College in Cisco, Texas and Hillsboro Junior College in Hillsboro, Texas. He was a member of the Texas National Guard 36th Division, 72 Brigade, 143 Regiment, Third Battalion, Company L. He attended school in Denton, Texas at UNT. He graduated in 1938 and moved to St. Jo, Texas to work as a science teacher. He returned to UNT for graduate studies in Public School Administration. He worked in the Denton Public School System as a teacher. He married LaVerne Gregory, also a graduate of UNT in Home Economics. They were married in 1939. He joined the Navy during World War II. He returned to teaching at the Crozier Technical High School Veteran’s program in Dallas. He also worked for the Veteran’s Administration, the Air Force Manpower and Organization Division Headquarter of the Strategic Air Command (in Fort Worth), and the Internal Revenue Service (Austin, TX).
Pauline Thomas Davis, an alumna of the University of North Texas. She was a member of the Press Club in 1932-33. Ms. Davis received her Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics on August 20, 1937. She worked as a teacher in Texas schools for seven years before following her husband to California. She worked as an air traffic controller for five years before retuning teaching in 1959. She taught in the 7 until her retirement.
Imogene Bentley Dickey Mohat (1908-2000), Professor Emeritus of Arts and Sciences and longtime dean of women at the University of North Texas. She taught English while serving as dean from 1944 to 1968. She taught full time until 1977. Ms. Mohat was the acting director of the drama division from 1977 to 1979. Ms. Mohat was named an honorary alumna of UNT in 1981. In 1990, she and her husband, John T. Mohat, established the Imogene Bentley Dickey Mohat Scholarship, awarded annually to a full-time UNT undergraduate student majoring in English. She died June 26, 2000, in Denton, Texas. She was 91 years old.
The Kappa Sigma fraternity was founded in 1952. The University of North Texas organization is the Epsilon-Upsilon chapter. The fraternity originated at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville in 1869. The four pillars of the fraternity are fellowship, leadership, scholarship, and service. The item in this collection concerns the foundation of the Kappa Sigma Educational Foundation, Inc.
The scrapbook was anonymously donated to Special Collections. It contains clippings that concern the life and activities of the Normal College. Faculty news, sports, and student organizations are covered in the clippings.
Mrs. Fayrene Chapman Hickman, of Wichita Falls, graduated with a Bachelor of Art in Art in 1932. As a student she was a member of Kappa Delta Pi, the Scholarship Society, the Art Club, and the Elementary Council. Her parents were Joshua Bill Chapman (1860-1921) and Mary E. Chapman (1864-1924) of Gainesville, Texas. Fayrene’s husband was A. O. Hickman.
Major General James R. Jones (1922-2007), a survivor of Iwo Jima, was a native of Jacksboro, Texas. He graduated from Jacksboro High School, earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 1947 from North Texas State Teachers College (now the University of North Texas), and a Master’s degree from George Washington University in 1967. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1941. He was commissioned in 1944. He served until 1977, when he retired with the rank of Major General. He earned the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit with Combat V with two gold stars in lieu of second and third awards, and the Joint Service Commendation Medal.
Sarah Law Kennerly was born in South Carolina on September 28, 1910. She was a graduate of Winthrop College, Rock Hill, South Carolina. She earned her Master of Library Science from Emory University and her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. Dr. Kennerly joined the University of North Texas faculty in 1951 and retired in 1977. She died on April 19, 2002
Theodore Lee (circa 1930-2016) spent most of his career in education. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Jarvis Christian College and a Master’s degree in education from North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas). His teaching included working as a substitute teacher at Dallas’ H. S. Thompson Elementary School. He was a science teacher at Thompson and later Julia C. Frazier Elementary. He went on to serve as a principal at George Washington Carver Elementary, Albert Sidney Johnston Elementary, Oliver W. Holmes Middle School, and Elisha Pease Elementary School. He also served as a Dallas Independent School District deputy assistant superintendent. He went on to become the first African American associate dean of students at the University of North Texas. He also worked as an instructor at Bishop College, Prairie View A & M University, Texas Southern University, and Wiley College. After his retirement from the Dallas Independent School District in the early 1990s he became the publisher, president, and chief executive officer of The Post Tribune.
Maurice McAdow (1904-2001) was a faculty member of the University of North Texas. He served as the director of bands from 1945 to 1975. McAdow attended Anthony High School, in Anthony, Kansas, graduating in 1922. He attended Montana State University Billing for a year. He would earn a Bachelor of Music Education from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1939. He worked as band director at the Greenville School System in 1936. By 1943, he was the band director at the York Community High School in Elmhurst. In 1945, McAdow joined the College of Music at the University of North Texas and developed the concert and marching band program. He worked for the university for 28 years.
Anne Amelia Pierce Meyer was born on February 18, 1896. In the interview she provides he memoires of being at student at the North Texas State Normal College. She account includes her living arrangements, her memories of Annie Webb Blanton, classes, and some of her professors.
Alfred Tennyson Miller (1913-1993) attended Fort Worth schools. He earned a Bachelor’s degree from Prairie View College. He started his master’s degree at North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas) and completed it at the University of Wisconsin. He taught school in Vernon, Texas (1935), Denton, Texas (1936). In Port Arthur, Texas, he served as High School principal until 1967. He then worked for the United States Office of Education as a Program Officer, specialist in integration. Mr. Miller served as vice president and then president of TSAT from 1954 to 1967.
Dr. Robert William Ottman (1914-2005) earned his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Music from the Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester, New York. He served in the United States Infantry in World War II as a chaplain’s assistant in Europe. At the end of the war, he attended Trinity College of Music in London for three months. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of North Texas in 1956. He was a Professor of Music Theory and chair of the Theory Department, and conductor of the Madrigal Singers during his thirty-five years as a faculty member at the University of North Texas. He was awarded the UNT President’s Citation for outstanding service in 2004.
Richard Henry Schiebel (1924-2010) was born in Rochester, New York. His family moved to Texas in 1932. He was a member of the Army Air Corps in 1941, earning his pilot’s wings in 1944. He served in World War II and Korea. He retired from the military with the rank of Lt. Colonel. Richard H. Schiebel of Dallas was a member of the class of 1948. In his senior year he was a member of the “T” Club, Psi Chi, the Basketball Squad, the College Varsity Show, and Alpha Chi. He was the son of Walter J. E. and Onnolee Schiebel. Richard Schiebel taught in the public school system of Little Rock Arkansas, and in Ball High School in Galveston, Texas.
Dr. Joseph Kean Gwynn Silvey (1907-1989) joined the faculty of the University of North Texas in 1935. He was the chair of the Biology Department from 1952 to 1973. From 1971 to 1975, he also served as the associate dean of basic sciences for the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Silvey founded the Center for Environmental Studies, later known as the Institute of Applied Sciences. He retired in 1977.
Julia Smith (1905-1989) was the composer of the University of North Texas alma mater, “Glory to the Green.” Ms. Smith was born in Caldwell, Burleson County, Texas. Her father was a professor of Mathmatics at UNT and raised his family in a house located just off campus. As a child she took piano lessons from Mary Anderson. Ms. Smith would graduate from the North Texas state Normal College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. She received her Master’s degree from New York University in 1933. She continued her studies at Julliard School of Music. Her first opera, Cynthia Parker, premiered on the UNT campus in 1939. Her dissertation was Aaron Copland: His Work and Contribution to American Music (New York University, 1952). She enjoyed a career as a composer and writer.
James Walton’s images document the 17th Glider Training Detachment that received their training at Hartlee Field Airport in Denton, Texas. The soldiers, Field Artillery officers, were members of the 25th Army Air Forces Glider Training Detachment. The images show the soldiers on the University of North Texas campus, where they were housed and received part of their instruction.
Leigh Hilton earned her Bachelor of Science degree in 1989. She received her law degree, graduating Summa Cum Laude, in 1992 from South Texas College of Law in Houston, Texas. Ms. Hilton is a member of the Wealth Counsel and the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys.
May 2018 by Nicole Yatsonsky - corrected Box numbers, added folders to Boxes 1 and 2, added Box 6
July 2018 by Nicole Yatsonsky - added Folder 5 to Box 6