Richard Brooks Manuscripts | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Richard Brooks Manuscripts|
|Primary Creator:||Brooks, Richard (1942-)|
|Date Acquired:||11/01/2013. More info below under Accruals.|
|Accruals:||One box, received February 6, 2015.|
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||Richard Brooks.|
|Related Materials:||See also: The Nancy Bogen Papers. For more information please see http://findingaids.library.unt.edu/?p=collections/findingaid&id=81.|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: February, 2015 Accrual]
- Box 3
- Item 1: Examples of compositional devices
- Includes shifting tonality, pandiatonicism, modulations, polytonality.
- Item 2: Divertimento for brass quintet, 1985 November 15
- "Dedicated to David Baldwin and the Summit Hill Brass Quintet."
- Item 3: Passacaglia for Rapunzel - piano score
- Item 4: Cassation for Two Celli, 1976 July 11
- Item 5: Ahab's Monologue, from Moby Dick, 1986 August 4
- Piano-vocal score.
- Item 6: Bachatelles: A suite for solo percussionist, 1986 October 25
- Dedicated to Anthony Ambrogio.
- Item 7: Rapunzel - end of Scene III
- Single page, manuscript in pencil, ending on measure 298.
- Item 8: Trio for piano, viola, and oboe, 1970 January 27
- Item 9: Usque Quo Domini? - Psalm 13, Op. 5, 1961
- Item 10: Three Haiku, 1971 January 29
- For SSA, piano (elementary grade)
- Item 11: Three Choruses from e.e. cummings, 1970 January 28
- Mixed chorus, piano, brass septet, percussion (2 players)
- Item 12: Two Sancti
- SATB (baritone solo) and organ.
- Item 13: Mass in B minor, Op. 4, No. 1
- Item 14: Don Quixote: An opera in one act, 1966 July
- "Sketches for a one act opera never completed (Byrne Fone, librettist); some ideas used later in Rapunzel." Composed at Binghamton.
- Item 15: Theme and Variations for pianoforte, Op. 9
- Item 16: Sonata for piano, Op. 11, No. 1
- Item 17: Suite for Woodwind Quintet, 1970 April 15
- 1. Preludio; 2. Lamento; 3. Scherzo. "Third movement not completed; later renamed Prelude and Lament." See also: Box 3, Item 36.
- Item 18: Trio for violin, cello, and piano, 1981 May 25 - 1982 June 17
- Corrections dated July 7, 1982.
- Item 19: "I am he that comes with amorous love" - Walt Whitman, "Children of Adam" section of Leaves of Grass, 1981 March 16
- Male chorus (TTBB) and piano. "Composed especially for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus and dedicated to Richard Slote." In black ink.
- Item 20: "I am he that comes with amorous love" - Walt Whitman, "Children of Adam" section of Leaves of Grass, 1981 March 14
- In pencil.
- Item 21: "As Adam early in the morning walking forth"
- Item 22: "I am he that comes with amorous love" - Walt Whitman, "Children of Adam" section of Leaves of Grass, 1982 June
- Item 23: Two Settings from Shelley, Op. 12
- "Dedicated to the memory of the great poet."
- Item 24: Fantasy - Impromptu for piano, 1982 August 3
- "For Max Lifchitz (sp?)."
- Item 25: Rhapsody for violin and piano, 1983 January 22
- "Dedicated to Adele Auriol (sp?) and Bernard Fauchet in gratitude for their friendship and their support of my music."
- Item 26: Invention for solo cello, 1980 November 1
- Item 27: Variation on a Vision of Robert Moran - Figure 3, 1979 July 28
- For flute, harp, and string quartet. Hartsdale, New York.
- Item 28: Ahab's Monologue from Moby Dick, Act II, Scene I, 1986 August 4
- Includes handwritten note. Folder labeled "48."
- Item 29: Brass quintet
- Two photocopies, one annotated in red ink
- Item 30: The Wishing Tree - an operetta in 3 acts, 1977 January 10 - February 23
- Libretto by John Richards. "Commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Pettengill for the students of Brookside Elementary School, Susquehanna Central School District, Conklin, New York, and dedicated to them."
- Item 31: Vicky's Viola Piece, 1985 December 2
- "Dedicated with great affection to Vicky Miro."
- Item 32: Last Night I Was the Wind - song cycle for baritone (mezzo soprano) and woodwind quintet, 1975 June 15
- Text by J. Peter Bergman.
- Item 33: Piano piece, 1970 March 25
- Item 34: Theme and variations for piano, 1967 January 27
- Item 35: Jubilate Deo - SATB chorus and strings, 1984
- Originally composed in 1965; revised in 1980, 1984.
- Item 36: Prelude and Lament for woodwind quintet, 1970 April 15
- See also: Box 3, Item 17.
- Item 37: Piece for brass quartet, 1965 January 21
- Item 38: Piece for Violin and Piano, 1970 July 11
- Photocopy, "based on the harmonic progession of 'Die liebe Farbe' from Die Schoene Muellerin of Schubert for a seminar with Norman Lloyd at NYU."
- Item 39: Romanza - Vicky's Violin Piece, 1985 December 25
- Photocopy. "Dedicated with deepest affection to my wonderful friend, Vicky Miro." See also: Box 4, Item 12.
- Item 40: Hymn to Intellectual Beauty, song cycle for high voice and piano, 1991 July 21
- Brooklyn. Text by Percy Bysshe Shelley.
- Item 41: Four Miniatures for Viola and Guitar, 2003 October 18
- Item 42: Into the Maelstrom, 2004 January 30 - March 12
- Brooklyn. First movement of Circular Motions.
- Item 43: Aaron's Jubilee - organ solo, 1997 June 21 - August 16
- Item 44: Violin Sonata, 2004 June 24
- Brooklyn. Violin part.
- Item 45: String Quartet No. 2, 2002 January 1 - March 28
- Item 46: Shakesperean Sketches, 2002 October 6 - 2003 June 17
- Brooklyn. For flute, violin, clarinet, cello, and piano.
- Item 47: American Elegy, 2002 July 19 - August 3
- Brooklyn. Short score.
- Item 48: Sketch - piano
- Item 49: Preludes to Paradise Lost - for organ, 2000 February 25
- Item 50: Lost Morning Eyes: A Play in Two Acts by Nancy Bogen, 2005
- Printout of script, and two CDs of Bogen's reading of it. Brooks composed "Ballet Music for two celli as an entr
- Access Restriction: Begins Box D
- Item 51: Robert and Hal: An Opera in 4 Acts, 2001
- Piano-vocal score, printed copy in plastic comb binding. Several looseleaf pages inserted.
- Item 52: Robert and Hal: An Opera in Three Acts - Act I
- Printed copy of full score. Includes small errata sheet.
- Item 53: Robert and Hal: An Opera in Three Acts - Act II
- Printed copy of full score.
- Item 54: Robert and Hal: An Opera in Three Acts - Act III
- Printed copy of full score.
- Item 55: Thematic analysis of Sibelius Symphony No. 2, 1962 May 27
- From Brooks' freshman music history class.
- Item 56: Graduate school paper - critique of S.K. Langer, 1974 April 29
- Original folder includes hand-drawn map of New York State with several cities plotted.
- Item 57: Program and script for Shakespeare program at SUNY Potsdam, 1964
- Item 58: Theater program for Albee's Zoo Story at SUNY Potsdam, 1963 November 21-23
- Item 59: "Layer Dictation #2", 1978, 2004-2005
- Photocopy of and correspondence regarding Layer Dictation: A New Approach to the Bach Chorales, by Richard Brooks and Gerald Warfield. New York: Longman, Inc. 1978
- Item 60: New Music Connoisseur, 2006 Summer/Fall; 2006 Fall/Winter
- Two issues and a compact disc related to Brooks' receiving the