Alexander M. Troup Collection | Manuscripts
|Title:||Alexander M. Troup Collection|
|Arrangement:||The Alexander M. Troup collection is composed of personal papers and 23 series. The collection’s series list includes Mr. Troup’s personal papers (correspondence, research files, as well as art archives and artworks); the Troup family papers; the Troup gallery papers and artwork; and a grouping of series which focus on a specific area, community, or construction site. These site-specific series include the American Airlines/Dallas Arena Recovery 1965-2000series; the Artic Research series; the Austin/Market/Jackson St. series; the Deep Elm (Honest Joe’s)/ Fairmont St. series; the Fair Park series; the French Brick Study series; the Folk Art series; the Hollywood, Film, Fashion, and the Image series; the Howard Hughes series; the JFK Archives; the Laws St. series; the Material Culture series ( for items without a specific location or community); and the Material Culture of Ethnic Communities in Dallas Co series(which includes the following communities: African Americans; the Hispanic Community; the Jewish Community and other ethnic Communities); the Newspaper Collection (includes Occupy clippings and General Clipping collection); the Oak Cliff/Cedar Creek series ;the Red Light district series; the San Jacinto-Camp Street Series; the St. George Hotel series; and the Separated Materials series.|
|Acquisition Source:||Alexander M. Troup|
Browse by Series:
- [Series 1: Alexander M. Troup Papers],
- [Series 2: Troup Family Papers],
- [Series 3: Art],
- [Series 4: American Airlines/Dallas Arena Recovery, 1965-2000],
- [Series 5: Arctic Research],
- [Series 6: Austin-Market-Jackson Streets],
- [Series 7: Deep Elm-Fairmont Streets],
- [Series 8: Dealey Plaza],
- [Series 9: Fair Park],
- [Series 10: French Brick Study],
- [Series 11: Folk Art],
- [Series 12: Hollywood, Film, Fashion, and the Image],
- [Series 13: Howard Hughes],
- [Series 14: JFK Archives],
- [Series 15: Laws Street],
- [Series 16: Material Culture],
- [Series 17: Material Culture of Ethnic Communities in Dallas Co.],
- [Series 18: Newspaper Collection],
- [Series 19: Oak Cliff-Cedar Creek],
- [Series 20: Red Light District],
- [Series 21: San Jacinto-Camp Streets],
- [Series 22: St. George Hotel],
- [Series 23: Swiss Avenue],
- [Series 24: Separated Materials],
- [Series 25: Accretion]
- Series 20: Red Light District
- The Red Light series contains various artifacts from the Red Light section in Dallas. In the 19th Century the corner of Jackson and Market St. became a community for the railroad line in the back of Wood St. There were boarding houses, saloons, store fronts and crib bordellos for both Anglo and African American women from 1978-1912. Items such as beer bottles and crockery are only a few of the items contained in this collection.
- Box 450: Artifacts of Materials Culture from Red Light Culture
- This box contains materials from Artifacts of Materials Culture; Red Light District, c. 1880’s to 1900’s; (2 boxes). The original box number is 1895.
- Barcode: 401138
- Box 451: Reservations and Red Light History of Dallas and Other, 1986-2004
- This box contains materials from Red Light - Reservation History of Dallas and Other; 1986-2004. The original box number is 1948 (#1).
- Barcode: 401139
- Box 452: Red Light - Outlaws - Crime
- This box contains materials from Red Light - Reservation Outlaws - Crime. The original box number is 1948 (#2).
- Barcode: 401140
- Box 453: Red Light - Reservations Archives
- This box contains materials Red Light - Reservation Archives. The original box number is 1948 (#3).
- Barcode: 401141
- Box 454: Red Light, Frogtown, Reservation - Artifacts
- This box contains artifacts and rare glass. The original number is 1998 (1 of 2).
- Barcode: 401142