Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Forte, Allen|
|Arrangement:||Files are presented in the order in which they were found. Where a particularly large file needed to be housed in separate folders, they are numbered (e.g., "folder 1 of 2; 2 of 2"). It is common to find sub-folders "nested" in other folders, or multiple folders in a file. That system of organization has been maintained.|
|Date Acquired:||06/11/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||musical analysis, music theory, Schenkerian analysis|
4 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on June 26, 2015.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on March 8, 2016.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on June 8, 2016.
2 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 3, 2017.
10 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 10, 2017.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on February 1, 2017.
3 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on February 28, 2017.
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||Allen and Madeleine Forte|
|Related Materials:||See also: The Allen Forte Papers at Yale University.|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: Family photos],
- [Box 16: Sharland Forte],
- [Box 17: Oversize items],
- [Box 18: Oversize items],
- [Box 19: Oversize items],
- [Box 20: Books],
- [Box 21: Books and videocassettes],
- [Box 22],
- [Box 23],
- [Box 24],
- [Box 25: Allen Forte's doctoral cap, gown, and hood],
- [Box 26: March 8, 2016 accrual - 1],
- [Box 27: Set of laminated Schenkerian analyses given as a gift to Allen Forte; two photos of Allen Forte at the piano.]
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Music Analysis - Snarrenberg, 1987; 1996-1998
- Includes a photocopy of a song for "J. Garland Birthday Party" (1987)
- Folder 2: NEMCT, 2000
- New England Conference of Music Theorists, and coverage in Music Theory Online 6.3.
- Folder 3: Modling, 2003
- Folder 4: Liszt, circa 1984-1987
- Research and analyses used in "Liszt's Experimental Idiom and Music of the Early Twentieth Century," 19th-Century Music Vol. 10, No. 3, Spring 1987. Contains material on Fetis which may have been moved from another file folder which was found empty.
- Folder 5: Sacher Stiftung
- Related to Forte's article "A Major Webern Revision and Its Implications for Analysis," researched in part at Paul Sacher Stiftung.
- Folder 6: Theory: General for Music 162.
- Folder 7: Group theory
- Linear algebra and group theory applied to twelve-tone analysis.
- Folder 8: Intervallic harmony, 2003 April
- Print of Forte's paper "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony: The Summation Vectors," from Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Music Theory, Tallinn, Estonia
- Folder 9: Summation vectors: "Supplementary program(s) output(s) to be examined for patterns"
- Folder 10: Webern: Op. 21, No. 2, Variation 2 - analysis
- "Construction of set in which trichords differ but content of hexachords same."
- Folder 11: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - 2 copies
- Folder 12: Intervallic harmony lecture
- Folder 13: Summation vectors, 2003
- Correspondence, multiple copies of multi-page set of examples
- Folder 14: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - 5 copies
- Folder 15: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - final manuscript
- Folder 16: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - manuscript and examples
- Folder 17: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - correspondence, 2003-2004
- Folder 18: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - corrected version, 2003 December 30
- Folder 19: Stravinsky
- Copies and published editions of Fireworks, Op. 4; Four Etudes, Op. 7; Symphonie de Psaumes (full score); In Memoriam Dylan Thomas; Symphony de Psaumes (piano-vocal reduction); Sacre du Printemps.
- Folder 20: Time, Inc., 1998-2004
- Correspondence regarding use of the photography of Sharland Forte.
- Folder 21: See oversized items in Box 16.
- Folder 22: Cole Porter lists
- Bibliography and works list
- Folder 23: Cole Porter
- List of documents to examine in Cole Porter Collection at Beinecke Library (Yale).
- Folder 24: "Messiaen's Mysterious Birds"
- Typed manuscript, minus conclusion.
- Folder 25: Schoenberg and the Schenkerians, 2005-2007
- Later titled "Schenkerians and Schoenbergians in America," presented at Vienna Symposium (2005), Mannes (2006_). File also contains 2007 Mannes presentation "Schoenberg and His Legacy."
- Folder 26: Offprint: "The Real 'Stella' and the 'Real' 'Stella'", 1997
- "A response to "Alternate Takes," Society for Music Theory Annual Meeting, Phoenix." 4 copies.
- Folder 27: Forte arrangements of standard jazz tunes
- Folder 28: Babbitt seminar
- Contains a copy of "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony," and a proposal for a book on analyzing Ravel's music.
- Folder 29: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony", 2010
- Folder 30: Websites
- Correspondence regarding website setup, maintenance, and testing.