Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Forte, Allen|
|Arrangement:||Files are presented in the order in which they were found. Where a particularly large file needed to be housed in separate folders, they are numbered (e.g., "folder 1 of 2; 2 of 2"). It is common to find sub-folders "nested" in other folders, or multiple folders in a file. That system of organization has been maintained.|
|Date Acquired:||06/11/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||musical analysis, music theory, Schenkerian analysis|
4 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on June 26, 2015.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on March 8, 2016.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on June 8, 2016.
2 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 3, 2017.
10 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 10, 2017.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on February 1, 2017.
3 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on February 28, 2017.
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||Allen and Madeleine Forte|
|Related Materials:||See also: The Allen Forte Papers at Yale University.|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: Family photos],
- [Box 16: Sharland Forte],
- [Box 17: Oversize items],
- [Box 18: Oversize items],
- [Box 19: Oversize items],
- [Box 20: Books],
- [Box 21: Books and videocassettes],
- [Box 22],
- [Box 23],
- [Box 24],
- [Box 25: Allen Forte's doctoral cap, gown, and hood],
- [Box 26: March 8, 2016 accrual - 1],
- [Box 27: Set of laminated Schenkerian analyses given as a gift to Allen Forte; two photos of Allen Forte at the piano.]
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Song scores
- Folder 1 of 2.
- Folder 2: Song scores
- Folder 2 of 2.
- Folder 3: Pitch-Class Set Theory, 2009 September
- For lecture in Shanghai. Includes 2007 article in Music Analysis Vol. 26, Nos. 1-2, "Alban Berg's Piano Sonata, Op. 1: A Landmark in Early Twentieth-Century Music."
- Folder 4: Sets and Nonsets in Schoenberg's Atonal Music
- Empty folder.
- Folder 5: "Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony" - "organization check"
- Folder 6: "Motivic Design and Structural Levels in the First Movement of Brahms's String Quartet in C Minor", 1983 Fall
- The Musical Quarterly, Volume 69, No. 4., pages 471-502. Photocopy of article.
- Folder 7: Pitch-Class Set Genera (Lecture Iia)
- Attached Post-It Note reads "most difficult."
- Folder 8: Schoenberg as Webern: The Three Pieces for Chamber Orchestra, III (1910)
- Photocopy of article (journal title not given), pages 41-75.
- Folder 9: "Not related to China trip"
- Mathematical manipulations of pitch-class sets, with a photocopy of Schoenberg's Sonnett 217 von Petrarca.
- Folder 10: Chopin
- Four published copies of Chopin works: The Four Ballades / The Four Scherzi; The Fifteen Waltzes / The Three Impromptus; Fantaiseie-Impromptu (Lea Pocket Scores); Miscellaneous Compositions (Vol. 36, Joseffy), Book VII, Etudes (Schirmer)
- Folder 11: Berg-Gershwin, 1997-1999
- Correspondence, sketches, and analyses, with article offprints by Claude Palisca and Leonard Meyer; Contains print of "photograph of Alban Berg sent to George Gershwin with dedication and passage from Wozzeck."
- Folder 12: Memorabilia
- Contains photo prints, copies of "Stella" article and "Harmonic Relations: American Popular Harmonies (1925-1950) and their European Kin," Contemporary Music Review Vol. 19, Part 1, pages 5-36; a "Shortschrift" for Forte and Claude Palisca (1987), and correspondence from Benjamin Boretz (1972).
- Folder 13: Rite of Spring
- Sketches for Sacrificial Dance
- Folder 14: Orpheus Institut, 2004 Fall
- Contract, presentation materials, and old drafts
- Folder 15: American Popular Ballad Seminar
- Song lists, articles, advertisements, and other materials.
- Folder 16: Schoenberg as Webern: The Three Pieces for Chamber Orchestra, III (1910)
- "Final version." Includes correspondence, two 3.5-inch floppy disks, and earlier drafts.
- Folder 17: Messiaen article
- Multiple drafts and related materials for article "Olivier Messiaen as a Serialist." Folder 1 of 2.
- Folder 18: Messiaen article
- Folder 2 of 2.
- Folder 19: Schoenberg's harmony; Schoenberg pitch-class set genera