Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Forte, Allen|
|Arrangement:||Files are presented in the order in which they were found. Where a particularly large file needed to be housed in separate folders, they are numbered (e.g., "folder 1 of 2; 2 of 2"). It is common to find sub-folders "nested" in other folders, or multiple folders in a file. That system of organization has been maintained.|
|Date Acquired:||06/11/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||musical analysis, music theory, Schenkerian analysis|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: Family photos],
- [Box 16: Sharland Forte],
- [Box 17: Oversize items],
- [Box 18: Oversize items],
- [Box 19: Oversize items],
- [Box 20: Books],
- [Box 21: Books and videocassettes],
- [Box 22],
- [Box 23],
- [Box 24],
- [Box 25: Allen Forte's doctoral cap, gown, and hood],
- [Box 26: March 8, 2016 accrual - 1],
- [Box 27: Set of laminated Schenkerian analyses given as a gift to Allen Forte; two photos of Allen Forte at the piano.]
- Box 6
- Folder 1: Musicae Scientiae
- Article with correspondence in French containing Forte's comments
- Folder 2: Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony: The Summation Vectors, 2010 February
- Revision. Also mentions unpublished Gershwin paper; includes assorted materials such as "Music Theory Yesterday and Today" paper, and "Schoenberg as Webern."
- Folder 3: The Structure of Atonal Music
- Revisions and additions.
- Folder 4: National Endowment for the Humanities, summer seminar, 1980-1996
- Folder 5: Sheffield Messiaen Conference, 2002
- Correspondence, abstract for "Messiaen's Chords."
- Folder 6: Brahms
- Materials found in folder labeled "Brahms," but having little to do with Brahms. Includes "Sets and Nonsets," and copies of Music Analysis issues. Folder 1 of 2
- Folder 7
- See oversize box.
- Folder 8: Program for Cole Porter Jubilee at Yale, 2013-2014
- Folder 9: Hascher article, 2009 February
- "'In dunklen Traumen': Schubert's Heine-Lieder through the Psychoanalytical Prism," by Xavier Hascher. Offprint inscribed to Forte from Hascher.
- Folder 10: Berg: Wozzeck
- Photocopy of piano-vocal score (Universal Editions 7832).
- Folder 11: Strauss: Elektra
- Photocopy of piano-vocal score (Boosey & Hawkes H. 15780).
- Folder 12: Three 3.5-inch floppy disks
- Webern talk handouts; Forte PC set programs; Mod12 programs, etc.
- Folder 13: Cambridge University Music Analysis Conference (CUMAC) Roundtable, 1997 August
- Papers (other authors), correspondence, travel arrangements. Folder 1 of 2.
- Folder 14: Cambridge University Music Analysis Conference (CUMAC) Roundtable, 1997 August
- Musical examples, correspondence, lecture.
- Folder 15: Unary Voice-Leading Transformations
- Lecture notes, various "transforms."
- Folder 16: Hong Kong, 2000
- Correspondence and travel arrangements for visit to Hong Kong Baptist University.
- Folder 17: Linear Analysis
- Notes and analyses (including Berg, Schoenberg).
- Folder 18: Sarah Jackson exhibit catalog, Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, 2001
- Folder 19: Correspondence with Dr. Timothy Jackson, 2010
- Folder 20: Permutation classes
- Computer program printout. "Program to compute distribution of permutations with respect to permutation classes."
- Folder 21: Relations between complements
- "Mathematical basis of the transposition number I for "complement mapping."
- Folder 22: Compact disc of musical examples for Music of Arnold Schoenberg (S137), 2002 summer
- Folder 23: "The Real Stella" article - sheet music, notes, analyses, works by other authors
- Folder 24: Similarity relations; transitive tuples
- Computer program outputs.
- Folder 25: Sloan paper handouts, 1995 November 3
- From presentation by Donald Sloan at Society for Music Theory meeting: "Fuzzy Set Theory, Fuzzy Measures, and Their Application to Resemblance Theories in Music."
- Folder 26: Elementary set theory
- "Set theory" in the mathematical sense.