Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Forte, Allen|
|Arrangement:||Files are presented in the order in which they were found. Where a particularly large file needed to be housed in separate folders, they are numbered (e.g., "folder 1 of 2; 2 of 2"). It is common to find sub-folders "nested" in other folders, or multiple folders in a file. That system of organization has been maintained.|
|Date Acquired:||06/11/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||musical analysis, music theory, Schenkerian analysis|
4 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on June 26, 2015.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on March 8, 2016.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on June 8, 2016.
2 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 3, 2017.
10 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 10, 2017.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on February 1, 2017.
3 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on February 28, 2017.
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||Allen and Madeleine Forte|
|Related Materials:||See also: The Allen Forte Papers at Yale University.|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: Family photos],
- [Box 16: Sharland Forte],
- [Box 17: Oversize items],
- [Box 18: Oversize items],
- [Box 19: Oversize items],
- [Box 20: Books],
- [Box 21: Books and videocassettes],
- [Box 22],
- [Box 23],
- [Box 24],
- [Box 25: Allen Forte's doctoral cap, gown, and hood],
- [Box 26: March 8, 2016 accrual - 1],
- [Box 27: Set of laminated Schenkerian analyses given as a gift to Allen Forte; two photos of Allen Forte at the piano.]
- Box 11
- Barcode 707230.
- Folder 1: "Biographical misc."
- Folder 3 of 3.
- Access Restriction: Personal recollections, correspondence, photocopy of C.P.E. Bach work.
- Folder 2: The Marriage of Note and Word in Two Songs by the Gershwins
- Includes page from "Reflections Upon the Gershwin-Berg Connection," 1998.
- Folder 3: Subsets - master - pasted-up reductions
- Folder 4: Verdi - scala enigmatica
- Folder 5: S138 - course syllabus, course announcement
- Folder 6: Europe - Salzburg, Paris, 2005
- Correspondence, course syllabus (S138)
- Folder 7: Salzburg - S138
- Course syllabus.
- Folder 8: Letter to Helene Berg
- Folder 9: Whittall review of Lewin
- Review of David Lewin's Musical Form and Transformation: Four Analytic Essays, by Arnold Whittall, in Musical Times Vol. 11, No. 93.
- Folder 10: Theory and Analysis of Atonal Music, 1991 Spring
- Syllabus and lesson plan outlines.
- Folder 11: Theoretical Studies
- "902 - Atonal course," class materials
- Folder 12: Fusako Hamao, 1995
- Paper and cover letter.
- Folder 13: Maurice Ravel - school fugue
- Score, likely generated from notation program.
- Folder 14: Drawings of composers in the Andre Mayer Collection
- Folder 15: Graphs sent by Dr. Timothy Jackson - Beethoven
- Folder 16: Analytical Approaches to Webern's Atonal Music Since 1947
- Folder 17: Tristan article, Musicae Scientiae, 1998
- "A Schenkerian Reading of an Excerpt from Tristan und Isolde," Musicae Scientiae special issue, pages 15-26
- Folder 18: Berg: Wozzeck
- Scores, analyses, and sketches.
- Folder 19: Berg: Op. 6, No. 2; Op. 4, No. 3; String Quartet
- Folder 20: Berg: Op. 7
- Various materials, including scores and analyses.
- Folder 21: New "BIPS"
- Computer- generated printout of Forte pitch-class sets.
- Folder 22: Royalty statement for Introduction to Schenkerian Analysis, 2007
- Folder 23: Contract and royalty statements for The American Popular Ballad
- Folder 24: Berg: Altenburg lieder, No. 2
- Photocopy of annotated score and analysis.
- Folder 25: Ken Todd: I Got, You Got, We Got, 2000 October
- Lead sheet.
- Folder 26: Christopher Hasty - Trio
- Score, photocopy of manuscript.
- Folder 27: "Old correspondence", 1973-1979
- Folder 28: Schoenberg File #4
- Scores and analyses. Folder 1 of 3.
- Folder 29: Schoenberg File #4
- Gurrelieder, score. Folder 2 of 3.
- Folder 30: Schoenberg File #4
- Pelleas und Melisande, score. Folder 3 of 3.
- Folder 31: Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony: The Summation Vectors
- "Not final version."
- Folder 32: Schoenberg as Webern
- "Lecture version."
- Folder 33: Unidentified tune arrangement
- Folder 34: Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony: The Summation Vectors, 2009
- Missing examples noted.
- Folder 35: Berg: Wozzeck
- Excerpt and analyses.
- Folder 36: Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony: The Summation Vectors
- "Estonia version." Reading copy, second copy.
- Folder 37: Shanghai, keynote address, 2009 October
- Folder 38: French-language travel guide for Shanghai
- Folder 39: "My involvement with atonal music"
- "For Shanghai," "introductory"
- Folder 40: Excerpt of "Pitch-Class Set Analysis Today"
- Folder 41: Combinational properties of tetrachords
- Explained as distinct from "combinatorial."
- Folder 42: Pitch-class set and summation vectors
- "Not an article."
- Folder 43: Lecture I, Shanghai: "The Historical Background of Pitch-Class Set Theory", 2009 October
- Lecture and notes.
- Folder 44: Inversion-invariance vectors
- Computer printout.
- Folder 45: Material for Shanghai - Pitch-class set theory, 2009
- Printouts of pitch-class sets by Forte number, notes, list of selected articles by Forte
- Folder 46: Ordered and unordered sets
- Lecture notes, material for Shanghai.
- Folder 47: A. Magino paper
- Folder 48: Begin the Beguine
- Photocopy of sheet music.
- Folder 49: Babbitt songs
- Scores, arrangements, analyses, correspondence.
- Folder 50: Berry, Jackson, Forte correspondence, 2012
- Folder 51: M. Braun article, Mozart, 2013 August
- Folder 52: Adamowicz, 2005
- Folder 53: CPAS Newsletter, Volume 5, No. 1, 2004 September
- University of Tokyo Center for Pacific and Asian Studies. In Japanese and English.