Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Forte, Allen|
|Arrangement:||Files are presented in the order in which they were found. Where a particularly large file needed to be housed in separate folders, they are numbered (e.g., "folder 1 of 2; 2 of 2"). It is common to find sub-folders "nested" in other folders, or multiple folders in a file. That system of organization has been maintained.|
|Date Acquired:||06/11/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||musical analysis, music theory, Schenkerian analysis|
4 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on June 26, 2015.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on March 8, 2016.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on June 8, 2016.
2 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 3, 2017.
10 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 10, 2017.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on February 1, 2017.
3 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on February 28, 2017.
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||Allen and Madeleine Forte|
|Related Materials:||See also: The Allen Forte Papers at Yale University.|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: Family photos],
- [Box 16: Sharland Forte],
- [Box 17: Oversize items],
- [Box 18: Oversize items],
- [Box 19: Oversize items],
- [Box 20: Books],
- [Box 21: Books and videocassettes],
- [Box 22],
- [Box 23],
- [Box 24],
- [Box 25: Allen Forte's doctoral cap, gown, and hood],
- [Box 26: March 8, 2016 accrual - 1],
- [Box 27: Set of laminated Schenkerian analyses given as a gift to Allen Forte; two photos of Allen Forte at the piano.]
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Graphs from Music Theory Society article, 1980
- "Aspects of Rhythm in Webern's Atonal Music." Music Theory Spectrum Vol. 2, Spring 1980, pages 90-119. Previously used in presentation by the same title at Society for Music Theory conference, November 3, 1979.
- Folder 2: Beethoven: Variations a quatre mains pour le piano-forte sur une theme de Monsieur le Comte de Waltstein
- Berlin: Rudolphe Werkmeister. 17 pages. Plate number 103.
- Folder 3: Classification of tetrachords for memorization
- Folder 4: Haydn class: short scores, review, analysis
- Folder 5: Inversion-invariance vectors
- Folder 6: Composers' sketches, autographs, and revisions, 1992-1993 Spring
- Materials related to course Music 469b
- Folder 7: Versification
- Includes photocopied excerpt of The Structure of Verse by Harvey Gross.
- Folder 8: Japan, 1971-1972
- Correspondence with the Yamaha corporation; envelope marked "Nara Hotel" with clippings of English-language advertisements from Japan.
- Folder 9: Music Theory Spectrum, 1978-1979
- Correspondence regarding "design, etc."
- Folder 10: Waitzfelder, 1972
- Folder 11: Indiana University, 1983-1984
- Correspondence related to Forte's visit in March, 1984.
- Folder 12: University of California at Los Angeles, 1975
- Folder 13: Elliott Carter, circa 1957-1964
- Correspondence between Forte, Elliott Carter, and Helen Carter.
- Folder 14: Library of Congress: Schoenberg Op. 24 particell, 1984
- Correspondence in order to obtain an image of a short score by Arnold Schoenberg.
- Folder 15: Documentation of studio vandalism, with photos, 1998 November
- Folder 16: "Allen's CD", 2004-2005
- Tune lyrics, brief histories of tunes, title list, liner notes for Forte's album Songs of Yesterday for Today.
- Folder 17: Gerald Gruber: Habilitationsschrift, 2003
- Folder 18: Oster, Journal of Music Theory, 1977
- Correspondence about, and Forte's recollections about Ernst Oster after his death.
- Folder 19: "Sketches, Autographs, and Revisions - list of works for course
- Includes note that "folders on sketches are in lateral file."
- Folder 20: Journal of the American Musicological Society, Vol. 56, No. 2 (Summer 2003)
- Review of "The Stravinsky Legacy"
- Folder 21: Flyer for Theorica Musicae at Yale, 2004 Fall
- Two copies. One insert about Forte's loan of materials to exhibit.
- Folder 22: Letter from Milton Babbitt to H. Haskell of Yale University Press, undated
- Folder 23: Haydn: "An tu non senti amico" - facsimiles of sketches
- Two pages.
- Folder 24: Beethoven: Piano Trio in B-flat, Op. 97, II. Scherzo
- Facsimile of sketch page for use in "Sketches, Autographs, and Revisions" course.
- Folder 25: Correspondence and unpublished paper by B. Givan
- Original file folder labeled "notes on an old jazz lecture (transcriptions)"
- Folder 26: See oversized items in Box 16.
- Folder 27: Chopin: B-flat minor scherzo
- Notes on specific measures from the autograph score.
- Folder 28: Chopin: E major etude (Op. 10, No. 3) - critical report and analysis
- Folder 29: Princeton University Press - Songbook copyright permissions, copyright credits, 1994-1995
- For "The American Popular Ballad of the Golden Era"
- Folder 30: Cambridge University Music Analysis Conference (CUMAC), 1997
- Folder 31: Summation vectors
- Folder 1 of 2.
- Folder 32: Summation vectors
- Folder 2 of 2.
- Folder 33: Benjamin Gibbs - genealogy; materials from Forte's citation by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1980, 2006; 1995
- Folder 34: Information theory
- Notes on Hiller-Bean article "Information Theory Analyses of Four Sonata Expositions," Journal of Music Theory Vol. 10, No. 1, Spring 1966.
- Folder 35: Kassler
- Notes on writings about Schenker.
- Folder 36: Aesthetics
- Notes on aesthetic theory.
- Folder 37: Ansermet obituary
- Ernest Ansermet obituary, clipped from newspaper.
- Folder 38: Birkhoff
- Notes on work of Harvard mathematician George D. Birkoff's work "Aesthetic Measure."
- Folder 39: Boretz
- Nelson Goodman: "Some Notes on Languages of Art," Journal of Philosophy Vol. 67, No. 16. Article includes section responding to Benjamin Boretz.
- Folder 40: Capellen
- Notes on work of Georg Capellen, critic in Hanover, Germany, who wrote extended essarys on music theory.
- Folder 41: Cowell
- Notes on Henry Cowell.
- Folder 42: Dada
- Notes on Dadaism.
- Folder 43: Haba
- Notes on Alois Haba: "Haba, Yasser, and Schillinger represent efforts of theorists to influence practice."
- Folder 44: Hauer
- Notes on Josef Hauer's System of Tropes.
- Folder 45: Hauptmann
- Notes on the work of Moritz Hauptmann.
- Folder 46: University of Washington, 2004
- Materials related to residency by Allen and Madeleine Forte, with printouts of photos on glossy paper.
- Folder 47: Letter regarding errata in "Listening to Classic American Popular Songs", 2001-2002
- Folder 48: Estonia, 2003
- Materials related to the Fourth International Conference on Music Theory, Estonian Academy of Music
- Folder 49: Kurth
- Notes on the work of Ernst Kurth.
- Folder 50: Lendvai
- Notes on the work of Erno Lendvai. Includes Forte's printout of pitch-class and interval class representatives of first 49 Fibonacci numbers.
- Folder 51: Lobe
- Notes on the work of J.C. Lobe.
- Folder 52: Logier
- Notes on the work of Johann Bernhard Logier.
- Folder 53: Lorenz
- Notes on the work of Alfred Lorenz.
- Folder 54: Marx
- Notes on the work of Adolf Bernhard Marx.
- Folder 55: Meyer
- Notes on the work of Leonard Meyer.
- Folder 56: Momigny
- Notes on the work of Jerome-Joseph Momigny.
- Folder 57: Perle
- Notes on the work of George Perle.
- Folder 58: Riemann
- Notes on the work of Hugo Riemann.
- Folder 59: Schenker
- Notes, graphs, and a translation by S. Haflich of Schenker's "Counterpoint."
- Folder 60: Schillinger
- Notes on the work of Joseph Schillinger, and Schillinger's influences.
- Folder 61: Sechter
- Notes on the work of Simon Sechter.
- Folder 62: Taniev
- Notes on the work of Sergei Taniev.
- Folder 63: Von der Null
- Notes on the work of Edwin Von der Null.
- Folder 64: Weber
- Notes on the work of Gottfried Weber.
- Folder 65: Weitzmann
- Notes on the work of Karl Friedrich Weitzmann.
- Folder 66: Westphal
- Notes on the work of Rudolf Westphal
- Folder 67: Yasser
- Notes on the work of Joseph Yasser.
- Folder 68: Ziehn
- Notes on the work of Bernhard Ziehn.