Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Allen and Madeleine Forte Memorial Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Forte, Allen|
|Arrangement:||Files are presented in the order in which they were found. Where a particularly large file needed to be housed in separate folders, they are numbered (e.g., "folder 1 of 2; 2 of 2"). It is common to find sub-folders "nested" in other folders, or multiple folders in a file. That system of organization has been maintained.|
|Date Acquired:||06/11/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||musical analysis, music theory, Schenkerian analysis|
4 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on June 26, 2015.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on March 8, 2016.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on June 8, 2016.
2 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 3, 2017.
10 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on January 10, 2017.
1 additional box received from Madeleine Forte on February 1, 2017.
3 additional boxes received from Madeleine Forte on February 28, 2017.
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||Allen and Madeleine Forte|
|Related Materials:||See also: The Allen Forte Papers at Yale University.|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1],
- [Box 2],
- [Box 3],
- [Box 4],
- [Box 5],
- [Box 6],
- [Box 7],
- [Box 8],
- [Box 9],
- [Box 10],
- [Box 11],
- [Box 12],
- [Box 13],
- [Box 14],
- [Box 15: Family photos],
- [Box 16: Sharland Forte],
- [Box 17: Oversize items],
- [Box 18: Oversize items],
- [Box 19: Oversize items],
- [Box 20: Books],
- [Box 21: Books and videocassettes],
- [Box 22],
- [Box 23],
- [Box 24],
- [Box 25: Allen Forte's doctoral cap, gown, and hood],
- [Box 26: March 8, 2016 accrual - 1],
- [Box 27: Set of laminated Schenkerian analyses given as a gift to Allen Forte; two photos of Allen Forte at the piano.]
- Box 7
- Folder 1: Partitions
- "Related partitions for pitch-sets (linear sets) of the same size and of different sizes."
- Folder 2: Relations, functions, mappings
- General notes; Babbitt's combinatoriality.
- Folder 3: Oxford University Conference on Music Analysis (OXMAC), 1988 September
- Paper, "New Modes of Linear Analysis" - original and copy
- Folder 4: Page proofs from Music Theory in Concept and Practice
- Festschrift in honor of Forte's 70th birthday.
- Folder 5: Correspondence with Florida State University, 1998
- Correspondence regarding Forte's visit.
- Folder 6: University of Western Ontario, 1997-1998
- Correspondence regarding Forte's visit.
- Folder 7: Set complexes - additional notes
- Notes, computer printouts, and graphs.
- Folder 8: Time-point functions, circa 1990
- Folder 9: Keller: Schule des Generalbass Spiels, 1956
- Barenreiter Ausgabe 490.
- Folder 10: Webern: Op. 9, No. 1
- Manuscripts, examples, research materials related to article "An Octatonic Essay by Webern: No. 1 of the Six Bagatelles for String Quartet, Op. 9," in Music Theory Spectrum Vol. 16, No. 4 (Fall, 1994).
- Folder 11: Autobiography, 2008 October 7
- Folder 12: Autobiography, 2008 June 18
- Folder 13: Autobiography, undated
- 32 pages.
- Folder 14: Autobiography, 2008
- Includes "Allen Forte: A Brief History," paper "Cole Porter's Life in Music," mailing from Silliman College (Yale).
- Folder 15: "Biography"
- Folder 16: Curriculum vitae
- Various materials, including excerpts from autobiography.
- Folder 17: Schoenberg - dates of atonal works
- Also includes examples from "Schoenberg as Webern," and "106a - Historical (atonal)."
- Folder 18: Correpsondence with D. Berry, 2009 July 7
- Folder 19: Yale University Press
- Correspondence, contracts, royalty statements.
- Folder 20: Neo-Riemannian, 2001
- Article by R.C. Cook.
- Folder 21: Music Analysis - 20th anniversary issue, 2001
- Forte's contribution for 20th anniversary issue.
- Folder 22: Webern: Op. 6, first movement
- Photocopies of manuscript.
- Folder 23: Schumann: Traumerei
- Photocopy and analysis.
- Folder 24: "From David Berry - on Allen Forte"
- Assorted correspondence; papers by and about Forte.
- Folder 25: Autobiography
- Multiple copies of curriculum vita, materials related to Forte's book The Atonal Music of Anton Webern.
- Folder 26: Schedule of events - China, 2009
- Folder 27: Biography, 2008 August
- Copy 2 of 2.
- Folder 28: Curriculum vitae
- Two copies.
- Folder 29: Sharland biography
- From Forte's autobiography.
- Folder 30: Biography, 2010
- With corrections.
- Folder 31: Curriculum vitae - 2nd version
- Folder 32: Forte collection at Florida State University
- Two copies of brief description.
- Folder 33: Signatures of various people
- Folder 34: Small, blue memo book and notes
- Folder 35: Hindemith conference - Yale, 1995 October 20-22
- Forte's paper, "Paul Hindemith's Contribution to Music Theory in the United States," manuscript and other copies.
- Folder 36: Ives and Yale, 1998 April 3-5
- Programs, examples, paper "The Musical Language of Two Ives Songs."
- Folder 37: Webern book permissions, 1996-1997