Pat Colonna Collection, 1953-2016 | Manuscripts
By Rachel Motes, Catherine Keenan, Perri Hamilton
|Title:||Pat Colonna Collection, 1953-2016|
|Arrangement:||This collection is arranged into three series reflecting stages of Pat Colonna's life. Each series is further arranged by subject.|
|Date Acquired:||04/07/2008. More info below under Accruals.|
|Accruals:||2011-011, 2016-032, 2018-049|
|Access Restrictions:||This collection is not restricted.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Special Collections department. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Portions of this collection are stored off-site and require a minimum of 24 hours notice prior to use.|
|Acquisition Source:||Pat Colonna|
|Separated Materials:||In addition to archival material, books were donated and are available through the UNT Library Catalog.|
|Related Materials:||The Portal to Texas History, a free online gateway to Texas history materials, has scans of articles written by Pat Colonna. For more information please see http://texashistory.unt.edu/.|
|Preferred Citation:||Pat Colonna Collection, University of North Texas Special Collections.|
|Finding Aid Revision History:||An accretion was processed by Catherine Keenan on 4/24/17, with additions to Series 3, Box 11 and Series 4, Box 17. An accretion was processed by Perri Hamilton on 2018-09-11, with additions placed in Series 2 Box 3 and Series 4 Box 18.|
Browse by Series:
- [Series 1: Pat Colonna],
- [Series 2: Professional Papers],
- [Series 3: Peace Corps],
- [Series 4: Yoga Denton]
- Series 2: Professional Papers
- This series contains materials from Pat Colonna's career at the North Texas State University (NTSU) and the University of North Texas (UNT) during different eras.
- Box 2: Papers
- Barcode: 642239
- Folder 1: Trash Bash, 1980-1981
- Contains articles and information related to Pat’s work with the Denton Trash Bash.
- Folder 2: Union Gallery, 1988-1991
- Contains articles and information related to Pat’s work with the Union Gallery.
- Folder 3: CASE Competition, 1981
- This is Pat’s submission to the 1981 CASE Southwest District Communications Awards Competition. CASE stands for the Council for Advancement and Support of Education. Her submission include copies of articles that she has written over Golden Eagle Homecoming, Dormitory Dining, African Janitor is a Prince, Really, Two-Can-A-Day Man Breaks Habit, and Ken Havis.
- Folder 4: ACPRA Honors Competition, 1975
- This is the submission that Pat sent to the American College Public Relations Association (ACPRA) Honors Competition in 1975 that contains copies of her NTSU International Student Series.
- Folder 5: Article Hard Copies, 1972-1997
- Article subjects are: Dr. Cecil D. Adkins, Denton’s Student Art Theater, Dr. Martin Mailman, and the Bells’ Class of ’57.
- Folder 6: Article Hard Copies
- Article subjects are: Playwright John Gibbson, Fort Worth Rodeo Trip, Denton Squirrels, Robert Castleberry for Mayor, Joyce Elrod, City Council, Municipal Court, and a Henry Colonna Memoir.
- Folder 7: Article Hard Copies
- Article subjects are: the West Dallas Project, Henry Whiddon, Beulah Harris, General Academic Building, Mike Cochran, Dr. Terry Jordan, Blind Machine, Scott Joplin’s Piano teacher, Fashion Collection, International Student Series, and the curse of the NTSU Lyceum.
- Folder 8: Article Hard Copies
- Article subjects are: B. F. Maiz, Ken Havis, Denton Building Code Board, Safari Moja, Texas Association of Schools of Art, Speaker Vassilis Vassilikos, NTSU Music Student Invents Reed Holder, Being an overage student, and Lou Marini Profile.
- Folder 9: Articles by Pat, 1970-1990
- Articles written by Pat for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Denton Record-Chronicle, and the Daily Register. Topics include: Old Denton buildings, miscellaneous news, University of North Texas International Students, a Nigerian prince at NTSU, and NTSU dormitory dining.
- Folder 10: Ann’s Haven Hospice Herald Newsletter, 1990
- Newsletter from Ann’s Haven Hospice that Pat has an article published in.
- Note: Pat was a Community Liaison at Ann’s Haven Hospice.
- Box 3: Papers
- Barcode: 642240
- Folder 1: Public Affairs and Information Services Work, 1974-1999
- Contains documents retained from Pat Colonna’s time spent working at UNT under their Public Affairs and Information Services department.
- Folder 2: NTSU Certificates, 1983-1989
- Certificates received by Pat Colonna during her time working at NTSU.
- Folder 3: UNT Related, 1980-1990
- Contains UNT documents of interest.
- Item 1: Inauguration, November 13, 1980
- Item 3: Service Recognition Awards Program, October 17, 1983
- Item 2: All-Male Calendar of the NTSU Art Faculty, 1984
- Item 4: Annual Alumni Awards Dinner, 1990
- Item 5: The Centennial Poem of the University of North Texas, December 1990
- "A Memory of the Academy by Richard B. Sale." Contains a personal message from Richard "Rick" Sale to Pat Colonna: "For Pat - a good friend who has written kind words about folks at our house. Love, Rick.
- Item 6: Alumni Association Annual Member Card, 1993
- Folder 4: UNT Mini-course Teaching Yoga, 1988-1991
- Documents pertaining to the time Pat Colonna taught a Yoga Mini-course at UNT.
- Folder 5: Photographs from NTSU, 1977-1985
- Contains photographs from Pat Colonna’s time spent at working NTSU in the Public Information Office (PIO).
- Folder 6: ReSource NTSU
- This folder contains two Research Magazines of North Texas State University. Pat Colonna is cited as a Writer in both issues and has an article in each.
- Folder 7: North Texas Today, 1986-1999
- This folder contains a selection of the Advancement Magazine of the University of North Texas also known as the Advancement Magazine of North Texas State University. They each contain articles written by Pat Colonna and the January 1986 issue even mentions her as the Associate Editor.
- Folder 8: The Green Fuse, 1980
- The NTSU literary magazine spring 1980 issue that contains “Memoir” by Pat Colonna
- Folder 9: The North Texan, 1974
- The North Texan publication featuring B. F. Maiz. Photograph used by Pat Colonna for this article is located in Series 1/ Box 1/ Folder 10 of this collection.
- Folder 10: Note Pad, undated
- The pad was used on the campus of North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas).
- Box 4: Papers
- Barcode: 642241
- Folder 1: Articles of Interest
- Contains articles of interest pertaining to the Denton area.
- Folder 2: Senior Leaders, 1997-1999
- Awards and Certificates from the Denton County Senior Leaders Program sponsored by the Chisholm Trail RSVP to Pat Colonna.
- Folder 3: Unity of Denton, January 30, 2000
- Award for service from the Unity of Denton as well as information about Unity.
- Folder 4: Warren Norwood, October 15, 1984
- This is a letter from Warren Norwood to Pat Colonna. In the letter, it was stated that Warren Norwood gave a copy of his then new book to Pat Colonna in thanks but the book was not donated along with the collection.
- Note: Warren Norwood was a North Texas alumnus and an American science fiction novelist whose collection of manuscripts and related materials are housed in the UNT Special Collections.
- Folder 5: Leon Breeden, 1979-1985
- Correspondence from Leon Breeden to Pat Colonna
- Note: Leon Breeden was the director of UNT’s One O’Clock Lab Band from 1950-1981 and it was under his direction that the One O’Clock Lab Band became internationally famous.
- Folder 6: Kenneth Havis, 1982-1993
- Contains documents about Kenneth Havis.
- Note: Kenneth Havis was the director of the UNT Art Gallery from 1969 to 1984 as well as the vice president of the Greater Denton Arts Council from 1973-1975.
- Folder 7: Polo, 1980-1982
- Documents relevant to Pat Colonna’s plan to get a NTSU Polo program instated.
- Folder 8: Exhibits, 1987-1993
- Contains advertisements for exhibits at Oak Street Gallery, 500X Gallery, and various University of North Texas locations and for exhibits done by Kenneth Havis or David Blow.
- Folder 9: Responses to Pat’s work in the Office of Public Affairs and Information Services, 1972-1989
- Correspondence from various individuals in response to work done by Pat Colonna while working in the Office of Public Affairs and Information Services.
- Folder 10: Responses to Pat’s work with the Denton Record-Chronicle, 1990
- Correspondence from individuals in response to work done by Pat Colonna while writing for the Denton Record-Chronicle.
- Folder 11: North Texas Football
- Box 5: Publications
- Newspaper articles written by Pat Colonna for the North Texas State University Update (1977-1981), the UNT Union Gallery (1990-1991), the Denton Record-Chronicle (1974-1990), the Texas City Sun (1990), the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (1974), the Lake Area Argus (1988), Ann’s Haven Hospice (1992), and the Getzen Gazette (1973).
- Barcode: 642242
- Box 6: Artifacts
- Artifacts collected by Pat Colonna during her time working for the University of North Texas and while living in the North Texas area.
- Barcode: 642186
- Item 1: Denton County Friends of the Family
- Wooden plaque with metal plate bearing the caption, “With Grateful Appreciation for your Support to Denton County Friends of the **Family**.”
- Item 2: NTSU Turtle
- A worn green and yellow bean-bag turtle with the acronym “N.T.S.U.” printed on its torn felt shell.
- Item 3: Dallas Trekkers, 1985 March
- A shaped medal hanging from a brown ribbon with a pin attached to the back engraved with the image of the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods located at Texas Woman’s University. The words “Dallas Trekkers” can be found engraved into the foliage of the front tree while “Little Chapel-in-the-Woods/ Texas Woman’s University/ Denton, Texas March 1985” can be found engraved across the bottom banner.
- Item 4: Ann's Haven Hospice
- An Ann’s Haven Hospice name tag with “Pat Colonna/ Community Liaison/ Ann’s Haven Hospice” engraved across it.
- Item 5: The Campus Theatre, July 6, 1995
- A Campus Theatre pin advertising “Grand Opening/ Friday Premiere/ July 6, 1995.”
- Item 6: Kennedy Presidential Campaign Pin
- A Presidential campaigning pin displaying the side portfolio of Kennedy that states, “Kennedy For President.”
- Item 7: Johnson Presidential Campaign Pin
- A Presidential campaigning pin displaying the front portfolio of Johnson that states, “Johnson For President.”
- Item 8: Anderson Presidential Campaign Pin
- A Presidential campaigning pin that states, “Anderson For President.”
- Item 9: "Flying Worm" Bandana
- A dark lime green bandana with a mid-1970’s stylized flying eagle printed in white on it.
- Item 10: Howdy Week Pin
- A green pin with the words “I Love NTSU” printed in white along the top half of the pin with the “o” replaced by a watermelon slice and the words “Howdy Week” printed in red along the bottom half of the pin.
- Item 11: Centennial Pin, 1990
- A green on white University of North Texas school seal pin with two ribbons attached. One ribbon is a cream color with “1890 Centennial 1990” printed upon it and the second ribbon is a gold color with “Homecoming Oct. 18-19-20” printed upon it.
- Item 12: “Where We First Met” Homecoming Pin, 1987
- A green on white NTSU pin with “North Texas State University/ “Where We First Met”” in green print along the top and below that is the Bell Tower with an eagle flying in the background. Along the bottom of the pin is “Homecoming ‘87/ October 9-10/ Interstate Batteries” in green print.
- Item 13: " A Texas Tradition" Homecoming Pin, 1986
- A white on green NTSU pin with “North Texas State University/ “A Texas Tradition”” in white print along the top and below that is the Bell Tower with an eagle soaring in the background. Along the bottom of the pin is “Homecoming ‘86/ November 7-8/ Compliments of Texas Bank of Denton” in white print.
- Item 14: "It's Good To Be Home" Homecoming Pin, 1984
- A green on white North Texas pin with “"It's Good To Be Home"/ North Texas Homecoming” in green print along the middle and below a cartoon sketch of Scrappy the Eagle mascot. Along the bottom of the pin is “Nov. 9-10, '84” also in green print.
- Item 15: University of North Texas Centennial Celebration Extravaganza Medal, 1990
- This is a golden medal attached to a green and white two-striped ribbon. On one side, the medal has “Centennial Celebration Extravaganza 1890-1990” while on the other is “University of North Texas Centennial 1890-1990”