Osborn Duke Collection, 1934-1983 | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Osborn Duke Collection, 1934-1983|
|Primary Creator:||Duke, Osborn (1924-1999)|
|Subjects:||Big bands, General Dynamics Corporation., Stewart, James, 1908-1997, World War II|
Browse by Box:
- [Box 1: Materials related to novels and Duke's writing],
- [Box 2: Materials from the Second World War and Duke's professional career],
- [Box 3: Yearbooks, magazines, and other print materials],
- [Box 4: Cassette tapes and VHS videocassettes],
- [Box 5: Reel-to-reel tapes]
- Box 2: Materials from the Second World War and Duke's professional career
- Papers, photos, and diaries.
- Item 1: College papers
- Item 2: College papers, cont'd.
- Item 3: Letter home, writings while overseas in Second World War
- Includes play written on American Red Cross stationery. Post-It Note: "Switzerland 1945 - hospital."
- Item 4: Flyer for Friends of Music Symphony Orchestra in Bari, Italy
- Item 5: Honorable Discharge report and related documents
- Contents: Honorable Discharge report, Separation Qualification record and copies; copy of Honorable Discharge certificate, paper by niece after interview with Duke about service in WWII
- Item 6: Correspondence, 1955 - 1958 January
- Item 7: Correspondence, cont'd., 1958 January
- Item 8: Correspondence, cont'd 2, 1958 February - 1989
- One undated photocopy at end of file.
- Item 9: Employment Information
- Item 10: "Pardons & Paroles + Selma Wells"
- Title taken from original file.
- Item 11: Impressions and comments, 1958 February
- Five pages describing "impressions and comments" on two discussion sessions, dated 2/21/1958, 2/28/1958.
- Item 12: Miscellaneous papers
- Contents: Concert programs, Columbia University window decal, AFM 72-147 life membership card, name plate, song: "Believe in Stevenson" (campaign song for Adlai Stevenson) ; copy of plaque honoring Robert Wilson as Jazzman of the Year, (Austin Community College) 1979-1980, paper with quote honoring Frank Messina.
- Item 13: Funerals
- Contents: Clippings, obituaries, funeral programs, signed photo of Klovis Walker.
- Item 14: Photos from the Second World War
- Found together in a resealable plastic freezer bag.
- Item 15: Additional photos from the Second World War
- Item 16: Post-War bands, 1946-1950
- <span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; ">Photos from post-war band years (ca. 1946-50), incl. mini-photo album: "Bobby Byrne, Band member 1950-51?" ; Bobby Byrne and Denny Beckner, Harvey Anderson bands</span>
- Item 17: Photos of Osborn Duke in various years
- Includes some WWII photos.
- Item 18: Photos, General Dynamics
- Item 19: Photos: Jimmy Stewart, Champion of Champions
- Item 20: Photos, "Ft. Worth : 1958-73 : TCU ; General Dynamics"
- Includes photo of Osborn Duke holding baby in his coat, which was published in 11/17/1958 issue of Life magazine (See also Box 3, Item 15).
- Item 21: Later band/performance photos, 1960-1980
- Includes photo with Jack Teagarden, envelope of negatives.
- Item 22: "Photos of other people"
- Includes duplicate of well known "Great Day in Harlem" photo.
- Item 23: Photo album: photos from deployments in Second World War
- Item 24: Framed photo: National Youth Authority Band, 1940-41, Ft. Worth
- Reverse side: "Osborn Duke 2nd from left, front row."
- Item 25: Diary, 1934, 1942
- Begun in 1934, resumed in 1942 at North Texas State Teachers College (now UNT). Photo of Duke on inside cover.
- Item 26: Diary, 1943-1944
- Aug. 11-12, 1943 bookmarked.
- Item 27: Diary, 1945-1946
- Inside cover: "Osborn Duke, 622nd AAF Band." Picture of Duke in uniform affixed to May 31 page.
- Item 28: Diary, 1946
- Journal purchased in Italy, months and days printed in Italian.
- Item 29: Diary, 1948
- Small segments of writing.