Simon Bucharoff Collection | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Simon Bucharoff Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Bucharoff, Simon (1881-1955)|
|Arrangement:||Organized into ten series: (1) Scores; (2) Oversized scores; (3) Published works by Simon Bucharoff; (4) Libretti and other writings; (5) Correspondence and papers; (6) Photographs, clippings, and publicity; (7) Works by other authors and composers; (8) Isadore Buchhalter; (9) Realia; and (10) Documentation from the University of Houston.|
|Subjects:||Bucharoff, Simon, 1881-1955|
Browse by Series:
- [Series 1: Scores],
- [Series 2: Oversized scores],
- [Series 3: Published works by Simon Bucharoff],
- [Series 4: Libretti and other writings],
- [Series 5: Correspondence and papers],
- [Series 6: Photographs, clippings, and publicity],
- [Series 7: Works by other authors and composers],
- [Series 8: Isadore Buchhalter],
- [Series 9: Realia],
- [Series 10: Documentation from the University of Houston]
- Series 5: Correspondence and papers
- Sub-Series 1: General correspondence
- Box 1
- Barcode 5000362283.
- Folder 1: General correspondence, 1912-1929
- Folder 2: General correspondence, 1930-1935
- Folder 3: General correspondence, 1943-1955 November 18
- Correspondence up to the point of Bucharoff's death on November 24, 1955.
- Folder 4: General correspondence, undated
- Includes letter from Charles Wakefield Cadman (ca. 1930s), and endorsement of Bucharoff's piano method book by Erich Korngold.
- Folder 5: General correspondence, 1955 November 25 - 1977 July 18
- Correspondence continued by Bucharoff's estate, primarily by his sister-in-law, Elizabeth Buchhalter.
- Sub-Series 2: Dispute with publishers in Germany
- Box 1
- Barcode 5000362284.
- Folder 1: Dispute with publishers, 1924-1929
- Folder 2: Dispute with publishers, 1930-1938
- Folder 3: Dispute with publishers, 1943-1949
- Folder 4: Dispute with publishers / War Claims Act, 1950-1955 November 16
- Continuation of dispute and attempts to receive restitution under the War Claims Act of 1948 until Bucharoff's death.
- Folder 5: War Claims / Bucharoff estate, 1955-1958
- Folder 6: War Claims / Bucharoff estate, 1964-1979
- Folder 7: War Claims / Bucharoff estate, undated
- Sub-Series 3: Correspondence with specific parties
- Box 1
- Barcode 5000362286.
- Folder 1: 20th Century Fox
- Folder 2: Allegro Musical Art League
- Folder 3: Associated Music Publishers
- Folder 4: Metropolitan Opera
- Folder 5: Padovano, John
- Folder 6: G. Schirmer, Inc.
- Folder 7: Professional organizations, 1929 - 1955 February
- ASCAP, Songwriters Protective Association, American Federation of Musicians, and others.
- Folder 8: Professional organizations cont'd., 1955 December - undated
- Sub-Series 4: Personal documents
- Box 1
- Barcode 5000362285.
- Folder 1: Vital statistics and records
- Folder 2: Will and estate-related documents
- Folder 3: Pay stubs and receipts
- Folder 4: Copyright and related documents
- Folder 5: Chemistry / pharmacology textbook from Bucharoff's youth, 1893
- Surawicz, S. Asymmetrische Amylverbindungen und ihre Beziehungen zum Fuselalkohol. Stamped "Simon Buchhalter, New York City."
- Sub-Series 5: Miscellaneous and uncategorized
- Assorted envelopes, Chicago Symphony schedule, small slips of paper, and other items.