The Black Academy of Arts and Letters Records, 1970-2013 | University of North Texas Special Collections
By Robert Lay, Amanda Montgomery, and Connor Flowers
|Title:||The Black Academy of Arts and Letters Records, 1970-2013|
|Primary Creator:||The Black Academy of Arts and Letters (1978-)|
|Other Creators:||Curtis L. King|
The collection is arranged into seven series.
Series 1: Audio/Visual Materials comprises 118 boxes of VHS, Betamax, Betacam, Umatic, and digital video recordings as well as audio cassettes of TBAAL events. These materials are arranged by season.
Series 2: Administrative Files covers 14.5 boxes of meeting minutes, planning documents for TBAAL's moves, and other materials documenting the day-to-day operation and organizational history of The Black Academy. The files are arranged alphabetically by topic.
Series 3: Support Letters comprise 2.5 boxes of correspondence sent both to The Black Academy of Arts and Letters and to founder Curtis King, personally, encouring and expressing support for TBAAL's activities. These materials were originally stored chronologically in a series of binders. This chronological arrangement has been retained.
Series 4: Photographs contains TBAAL's extensive (49 boxes) photograph collection. This includes photos taken at TBAAL events, headshots and/or other promotional photographs. The original topical arrangement has been retained.
Series 5: Press Files contains newsclippings, announcements, press releases, and TBAAL's newsletter, Pipeline. The files are arranged chronologically in 9 boxes.
Series 6: Production Files comprises 41.9 boxes of promotional and planning material for performances and other events sponsored or hosted by The Black Academy of Arts and Letters. The files are arranged into chronological sub-series for each season; files are alphabetical within the season.
Series 7: Oversize Materials captures large-format manuscripts that were separated from their original context. All such separations have been documented.
|Date Acquired:||11/00/2014. More info below under Accruals.|
|Subjects:||African-Americans -- History, African Americans in the performing arts, Centers for the performing arts|
|Repository:||University of North Texas Special Collections|
|Accruals:||2014-076. Additional accruals to the collection will be added every two years.|
|Access Restrictions:||This collection is not restricted.|
|Use Restrictions:||Copyright for all content in the TBAAL Archive is owned solely by The Black Academy of Arts and Letters. Inquiries to obtain permission for commercial and/or non-educational use of materials from the TBAAL Archive should be directed to Curtis King, president, The Black Academy of Arts and Letters.|
|Physical Access Note:||This collection is stored off-site and requires a minimum of 24 hours notice prior to use.|
|Acquisition Source:||Curtis King/The Black Academy of Arts and Letters|
|Appraisal Information:||A team consisting of University of North Texas Special Collections archivists Amanda Montgomery and Robert Lay and TBAAL archivist Ronnika Williams performed an appraisal of the collection February-March 2015. Duplicate materials and sensitive personal and financial information were removed from the collection prior to transfer to UNT.|
|Related Materials:||Portions of this collection have been digitized and are available within the "Black Academy of Arts and Letters Materials" collection in the Portal to Texas History. For more information please see http://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/collections/BLACKA/browse/.|
|Preferred Citation:||The Black Academy of Arts and Letters Records, 1970 - 2003, University of North Texas Special Collections|
The Black Academy of Arts and Letters Collection was processed by a team of archivists consisting of Robert Lay, Amanda Montgomery, and student assistants Connor Flowers, Liz Hatter, Trista Neeley, and Savannah Bruce.
Digitization provided courtesy of the UNT Media Library and Laura Treat. Hosting provided by the Portal to Texas History.
Browse by Series:
- [Series 1: Audio/Visual Materials, 1976-2013],
- [Series 2: Administrative Files],
- [Series 3: Support Letters],
- [Series 4: Photographs],
- [Series 5: Press Files],
- [Series 6: Production Files, 1977-2013],
- [Series 7: Oversize Materials]
- Series 3: Support Letters
- Includes letters written to TBAAL/JBAAL and Curtis King. Some celebrity correspondence included.
- Box 133
- Barcode: 691632
- Folder 37: 1974-1976
- Folder 38: Seasons 1-8 [1 of 2], September 1977-August 1984
- Folder 39: Seasons 1-8 [2 of 2], September 1977-August 1984
- Folder 40: 1978-2000 [1 of 4]
- Folder 41: 1978-2000 [2 of 4]
- Folder 42: 1978-2000 [3 of 4]
- Folder 43: 1978-2000 [4 of 4]
- Folder 44: Seasons 9-16 [1 of 2], September 1985-August 1993
- Box 134
- Barcode: 691633
- Folder 1: Seasons 9-16 [2 of 2], September 1985-August 1993
- Folder 2: 1991-2000 [1 of 3]
- Halle Berry, Senator Edward Kennedy, Paul Fielding, Sister Claudette Marie Muhammad, Nation of Islam
- Folder 3: 1991-2000 [2 of 3]
- Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, John Wiley Price, Ron Kirk,
- Folder 4: 1991-2000 [3 of 3]
- Sister Claudette Marie Muhammad, Nation of Islam, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Ambassador David Shinn, An Evening with the Ambassadors of Africa and the Caribbean
- Folder 5: 1992, 2012-2014
- Folder 6: Seasons 17-24, September 1993-August 2001
- Halle Berry
- Folder 7: Seasons 25-32 [1 of 2], September 2001-August 2009
- Folder 8: Seasons 25-32 [2 of 2], September 2001-August 2009
- Folder 9: 2001-2002 [1 of 3]
- Folder 10: 2001-2002 [2 of 3]
- Folder 11: 2001-2002 [3 of 3]
- Folder 12: 2002-2004 [1 of 3]
- Folder 13: 2002-2004 [2 of 3]
- Folder 14: 2002-2004 [3 of 3]
- Folder 15: 2004-2006 [1 of 3]
- Box 135
- Barcode: 691634
- Folder 1: 2004-2006 [2 of 3]
- Folder 2: 2004-2006 [3 of 3]
- Folder 3: 2006-2007 [1 of 3]
- Folder 4: 2006-2007 [2 of 3]
- Folder 5: 2006-2007 [3 of 3]
- Folder 6: Seasons 33-34 [1 of 4], September 2009-August 2011
- Folder 7: Seasons 33-34 [2 of 4], September 2009-August 2011
- Folder 8: Seasons 33-34 [3 of 4], September 2009-August 2011
- Folder 9: Seasons 33-34 [4 of 4], September 2009-August 2011