Sonia Chalon Collection, 1917-1977 | Music Library
By Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Sonia Chalon Collection, 1917-1977|
|Primary Creator:||Chalon, Sonia (1892-1979)|
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Acquisition Source:||J. & J. Lubrano|
|Related Materials:||See also: the Allen and Madeleine Forte Collection.|
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Item 1: Binder
- Item 1: Letter from Camille Saint-Saëns to Chalon in Oran (Rue de Turenne), 1920 November 3
- Postmark date, R. Jouffroy, Paris XVII.
- Item 2: Letter from Georges Migot to Chalon in Oran, 1939 June 18
Postmarked July 1, 1939, Paris XI, Rue Mercoeur.
"Your modesty is too great since it is only through the Argus that I learned of your admiration for some of my songs." He thanks Chalon, and sends "artistic fellow feelings."
- Item 3: Letter from Georges Migot to Chalon in Oran, 1935 July 11
Migot's address: 6 Rue Sedaine, Paris XI. Postmarked same date, Rue de la Bastille, 1500 hours, Paris 21.
Migot is sending Chalon a book that includes a catalogue of his works, recommends "Poèmes du Brugnon" to her and closes by sending her his "artistic fellow-feeling." Split at lower portion of central fold.
- Item 4: Letter from Georges Migot to Chalon in Oran, 1937 February 28
- Postmarked same date, from Geneva.
- Item 5: Letter from Reynaldo Hahn to Chalon, 1932 February 4
Hahn's address: 7 Rue Greffulhe, Paris VIII. Postmark date, postmarkd at Rue St. Roch., Paris 111.
Hahn thanks Chalon for sending something to him and comments on the exclusion of female voices in religious music: "Why should feminine voices be excluded from religious music? In the old days they were not. It is Pope Pius X who, submitting to radical influences, has changed all that."
- Item 6: Letter from Reynaldo Hahn to Chalon, 1927 March 31
- Hahn's address: 7 Rue Greffulhe, Paris VIII. Postmark date. Postmarked from Nice, Pl. Grimaldi, 1400 hours.
- Item 7: Postcard from Reynaldo Hahn to Chalon, 1939 January 17
Postmark date. Postmarked from 38 Rue Vignon, 1000 hours, Paris 9. Postcard is of Marseille, Le Pont de la Fausse-Monnaie.
Hahn briefly sends his greetings.
- Item 8: Letter from Reynaldo Hahn to Chalon, 1934 February 2
Postmark date. Postmarked from 49 Rue La Boetie, Paris VIII, 12 noon.
Hahn advises Chalon to enter the competition and asks her to "try to find out the names of the members of the jury" and let him know.
- Item 9: Christmas card from Rosa Lhevinne, 1968
- Item 10: Letter from Sonia Chalon to Madeleine Forte, 1975 July 27
- Item 11: Letter from Sonia Chalon, 1977 December 1
- Letter, with Paris address, authorizes Madeleine Forte to use all material that was part of their piano lessons since 1941 as she wishes.
- Item 12: Two postcards from Sonia Chalon to Madeleine (Forte) and William Hsu
- Item 13: Handwritten note from Sonia Chalon, undated
- Black ink on lined paper.
- Item 14: Handwritten note from Sonia Chalon, undated
- Brown ink on aging paper. Sections separated by hand-drawn lines.
- Item 15: Handwritten note from Sonia Chalon, with page from a book with the poem Intérieur by André Theuriet, inscribed to Madeleine Forte.
- Poem is pages 47 and 48 from this volume: https://ia601406.us.archive.org/17/items/posiesdeandr00theuuoft/posiesdeandr00theuuoft.pdf
- Item 16: Recipe written on the reverse side of a printed page synopsis da Falla's El Amor Brujo / Amour Sorcier
- Item 17: La Sirene, a children's story by Sonia Chalon, 1939 October 26
- Item 18: Letter from E. Beringer to Chalon, 1914 November 10
- Dated at Oran, Algeria.
- Item 19: Letter and calling card from Mademoiselle Lyse Chapeau, professeur de chant & declamation a l'Ecole Municipale de Musique
- 1 Rue de Marseille, Oran, Algeria.
- Item 20: Letter from Frederick Durfee Cromweed, 1943 June 15
- Item 21: Letter from Georges Esclavy to Chalon, 1911 April 24
- Dated at Oran, Galerie Perez - Boulevard Seguin, Le Salon Reunion Artistique et Litteraire.
- Item 22: Letter from Georges Esclavy to Chalon, 1921 May 5
- Esclavy was president of the Association Amicale des Artistes Africains.
- Item 23: Calling card from Albert Regina, President de la Societe Musicale, Directeur de l'Ecole Municipale de Musique et de Declamation, Oran.
- Item 24: Envelope addressed to Chalon from London House restaurant in Algiers
- Printed on envelope: "H. Talandier, Proprietaire Directeur."
- Item 25: Letter from Lemaine to Chalon, 1917 July 4
- Item 26: Letter from Paul Le Fleu to Chalon, 1962 November 4
- Item 27: Letter to Chalon in Paris from secretary-general of the journal Comoedia, 1925 June 13
- Item 28: Receipt from the Consul General of Belgium, stamped at the consulate in Algiers, 1953 April 2
- Record of a donation of 30000 francs following a benefit concert explained in the following item.
- Item 29: Letter to Chalon in Orleansville (present-day Chlef) from the Consul General of Belgium, stamped at the consulate in Algiers, 1953 April 3
- Letter and attached newspaper clipping in reference to a benefit concert held by Chalon, with funds going to the emergency fund of the Belgian Red Cross.
- Item 30: Letter from the Ministre de l'Education Nationale, 1954 January 21
- Item 31: Letter to Chalon from the mayor of Orleansville, thanking Chalon for charitable activities, 1953 April 10
- Item 32: Letter to Chalon from the mayor of Orleansville, thanking Chalon for charitable activities, 3 July 1951
- Item 33: Letter from the French Red Cross in Algiers to Chalon in Orleansville, thanking her for charitable activities, 1954 July 6
- Item 34: Letter from Union Les Mutiles to Chalon in Oran, thanking her for a benefit concert, 1921 December 26
- The organization was apparently for aid and advocacy for those injured in military conflict.
- Item 35: Letter from the director of the Conservatoire Municipal of Oran to Chalon at Rue El Moungar in Oran, 1955 May 20
- Item 36: Certification from the Oran mayor's office that Chalon was on the faculty of the Conservatoire Municipal d'Oran, 1955 September 12
- Item 37: Letter to Chalon from Millicent Pull
- Written at Villa Causse, rue General Boulanger, Gambella, Oran.
- Item 38: Letter to Chalon from Union Les Mutiles, 1918 October 10
- "Union philanthropique des Blesses de la Grande Guerre, Oran."
- Item 39: Envelop addressed to Chalon from Mathieu Imbo of Oran
- 71 Rue de Mostaganem.
- Item 40: Postcard from Egypt to Chalon from Millicent Pull
- "c/o Barclay's Bank, Ltd., Alexandrie, Egypt."
- Item 41: Letter to Chalon, signature illegible, 1930 May 28
- Dated at Oran.
- Item 42: Photocopy of handwritten document: "Pour une Technique sonore du piano"
- Item 43: Letter from Chalon's family doctor, Jean Grunberg, Beauvoisin
- Item 44: Membership cards with photo: Association Amicale des Artistes Africains; Ordre de Patrie, Art, Humanisme, Civisme, 1924, 1964
- Item 45: Performance program: Salle des fetes de la mairie, Orleansville, 1953 March 21
- Includes small pressed flower.
- Item 46: Newspaper clupping; carte de membre du jury; membership card, Le Salon, reunion artistique et litteraire, Oran (Georges Esclavy, president), 1939 May 21; 1933 April 3; 1900s
- Item 47: Two recital announcements and calling card
- Calling card includes address of 11bis rue Balzac, Paris (8e).
- Item 48: Performance program, Oran municipal theatre, 1926 December 21
- Item 49: Performance program, Festival de Noel, Association Amicale des Artistes Africains, Oran municipal theatre, 1929 December 20
- Item 50: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, Oran, 1930 March 15
- With Monsieur Aubry Angellier.
- Item 51: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, Oran, 1933 March 18
- With Renee Roumagoux.
- Item 52: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, Oran, 1934 April 28
- With Mme. Blache Chiche.
- Item 53: Performance program: Association Bach-Haendel, Salle du Conservatoire Municipale d'Oran, 1935 March 20
- With Andre Bittar, M. Francis Thibaud, Gabrielle Levy, and Renee Roumagoux.
- Item 54: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, Oran, 1935 May 25
- With Renee Roumagoux.
- Item 55: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, 1937 February 20
- With Monsieur de Saint-Aulaire.
- Item 56: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, 1939 May 20
- With M. de St. Aulaire.
- Item 57: Recital announcement, Theatre Municipale D'Oran, 1940 June 1
- With Madame Raoul Chiche, au profit du Comite de Secours aux Mobilises et a Leurs Familles.
- Item 58: Performance program, Audition des eleves de Mlle Sonia Chalon, Salle du Splendid Cinema, 1949 June 25
- Item 59: Performance program, Festival Artistique Mlle Sonia Chalone et ses eleves, Salle de la Maire D'Orleansville, 1952 June 14
- Item 60: Performance program, Salle des fetes de la Mairie, Orleansville, 1953 March 21
- Item 61: Performance program: Association Amicale des Artistes Africains, undated
- Program printed at 40 Rue Cavaignac, Oran.
- Item 62: Performance program, Salle du Musee Nessler, Oran, March 19
- With Madame Lauta Vermeil. No year given. Printed at 12 rue Pascal.
- Item 63: Performance program, Prologue; Manon, undated
- Item 64: Hand-painted performance program enclosure, Audition des elves de Mademoiselle Sonia Chalon, Salle des fetes de la Mairie, 1946 May 18
- Au profit des pauvres de la Ville d'Orleansville. Madeleine Meyer, piano.
- Item 65: Performance program, Audition des eleves de Mademoiselle Sonia Chalon, Salle des fetes de la Mairie, 1944 April 23
- Au profit des pauvres de la Ville d'Orleansville.
- Item 66: Recital program, Madeleine Hsu, 1972 June 23
- Salle Gaveau, Paris.
- Item 67: Correspondence from Christian Communion, Boise, 1979 May 9, June 12
- Letter from pastor Roy Howes, thanking Madeleine Hsu for her confribution in memory of Sonia Chalon, and of Rolande Chalon Meyer (Madeleine's mother).
- Box 2