Barry S. Brook and Malena Kuss Collection: The Universe of Music: A History, 1979-2007 | Music Library
By UNT Music Library and Malena Kuss
|Title:||Barry S. Brook and Malena Kuss Collection: The Universe of Music: A History, 1979-2007|
|Primary Creator:||Barry S. Brook and Malena Kuss|
|Subjects:||Music--Historiography--Africa, Sub-Saharan., Music--Historiography--Asia., Music--Historiography--Caribbean., Music--Historiography--Europe., Music--Historiography--Latin America., Music--Historiography--Middle East., Music--Historiography--North America., Music--Historiography--Oceania., Music--Historiography—Africa, North.|
|Languages:||English, French, German, Spanish;Castilian, Portuguese, Russian|
Browse by Box:
- Box 3
- Barcode 692555.
- Folder 1: Music in the Life of Man Bombay meeting minutes, 1988 October 15
- Folder 2: Music in the Life of Man Bombay meeting notes, 1988 October
- Folder 3: Music in the Life of Man Bombay meeting minutes, 1988 October 13
- Folder 4: Music in the Life of Man Asia Bombay agenda and results
- Folder 5: 5-9 July Tokyo Music in the Life of Man misc. handwritten notes, etc., 1985 July 5-9
- Folder 6: Tokyo meeting July 85, correspondence about, 1985
- Folder 7: Music in the Life of Man Asia meeting Tokyo 1985 - general, reports, etc., 1985
- Folder 8: Asia 1985 meeting, current state of research in individual Asian countries, preliminary reports including Oceania, later published, 1985
- Folder 9: Papers: Berlin meeting, 1985 June 5-9
- Folder 10: Asia: Pre-regional meeting, 1983 October
- Folder 11: Asia: Consultants, Lieberman
- Fredric Lieberman (1940-2013): consultant on China.
- Folder 12: Music in the Life of Man: Asia, special advisors (Korea), Kwon Oh-sung
- Folder 13: Asia - special advisors, Robert Brown
- Robert E. Brown (1927–2005) was an ethnomusicologist who specialized in Indonesia, associated with UCLA, Wesleyan, and San Diego State University. He served as a consultant to the project.
- Folder 14: Kartomi, Margaret: New Asia coordinator
- After 1988, Tsuge Gen’ichi resigned as Coordinator of the volumes on Asia, a responsibility he shared with Trân Van Khê. Margaret Kartomi was subsequently invited to replace him.
- Folder 15: Music in the Life of Man: Asia, funding, Sangeet Research Academy
- Folder 16: The Universe of Music: A History Asia: funding (Hong Kong)
- Folder 17: The Universe of Music: A History: Asia: PP
- PP refers to UNESCO's Participation Programme, the system Barry Brook used to channel requests for funding and involves partnerships among supporting member states and UNESCO.
- Folder 18: Photocopy: Musical Voices of Asia: Report on Asian Traditional Performing Arts, 1978
- Folder 19: Asia Pacific Festival and Composers Conference: Selected Papers, 1984 December
- Folder 20: Music in the Life of Man: Asia, reference article, "An Introduction to Asian Music" by William L. Purcell
- Folder 21: Music in the Life of Man Asia general reference
- Folder 22: Music in the Life of Man Asia Woodson Seoul proposal
- Folder 23: The Universe of Music: A History: Asia, Silk Roads
- Folder 24: The Universe of Music: A History Asia II, III, China supplement
- Asia was assigned 3 volumes in a series of 12 for the entire project.
- Folder 25: The Universe of Music: A History Asia / China II, III, VIII
- Folder 26: The Universe of Music: A History: Europe - Notation
- The Swedish musicologist Ingmar Bengtsson (1920-1989) was the first Coordinator of the volumes on Europe; after his death, Hans Åstrand, a member of the MLM/UMH Board of Directors since the project’s inception and Secrétaire Perpétuel of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music, assumed the coordinatorship of these volumes.
- Folder 27: Europe I: Population
- Folder 28: Europe I: Tradition
- Folder 29: The Universe of Music: A History: Europe - Finland
- Folder 30: Europe - Ireland
- Folder 31: Europe I: Portugal
- Folder 32: Latin American annotated bibliography, Malena Kuss
- Malena Kuss, Coordinator, Latin America and the Caribbean, to which the project initially assigned one volume (IX). Annotated bibliographies of existing research were a part of the "feasibility studies" required by UNESCO for each region. Kuss’ Latin American Music: An Annotated Bibliography of Reference Sources and Research Materials, was published in-house by the International Music Council of UNESCO in 1984 (133 pages). An abbreviated version of this bibliography was published as “Current state of bibliographic research in Latin American music” in Fontes artis musicae, 34/4 (Oktober-Dezember 1984) 20–39. Annotated in Duckles and Keller, Music Reference and Research Materials, 4th edition (1988), 197; and 4th edition revised (1994), 207.
- Folder 33: The Universe of Music: A History: Stockholm, 1988 December
- Folder 34: Zhao Feng: Bibliography / China
- Chinese musicologist Zhao Feng contributed to the project as sub-regional coordinator for China in the 1990s.
- Folder 35: Music in the Life of Man Asia: Zhao Feng, correspondence
- Folder 36: Music in the Life of Man: Tsuge Gen'ichi
- Tsuge Gen’ichi: Japanese scholar who served as Coordinator of the volumes on Asia in collaboration with Trân Van Khê from the inception of the project until 1988.
- Folder 37: Asia correspondence: Tsao, Hong Kong
- Tsao Penyeh: ethnomusicologist, formerly at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Folder 38: The Universe of Music: A History Asia sub-regional coordinator, Alison McQueen Tokita
- Tokita: Kyoto City University of the Arts.
- Folder 39: Trân Van Khê’s model for country profiles, in French
- In addition to comprehensive bibliographies of existing research, UNESCO required geocultural studies of each region prior to commissioning actual chapters. The Vietnamese scholar Trân Van Khê (1921–2015), who lived in Paris for most of his life and was active in projects of the International Music Council/UNESCO, served as Co-Coordinator of the volumes on Asia from the inception of the project. He was also a member of the MLM/UMH Board of Directors.
- Folder 40: Trân Van Khê, geocultural study
- Folder 41: Music in the Life of Man Asia correspondence, Trân Van Khê, co-coordinator
- See also: previous item, geocultural study.
- Folder 42: Asian authors: Premlata Puri (India)
- Folder 43: The Universe of Music: A History Asian author Franciscus Xaverius Suhardjo Parto (Indonesia)
- Folder 44: Mitani Yoko, correspondence