Julia Smith Collection | Music Library
By Katie Buehner and Maristella Feustle
|Title:||Julia Smith Collection|
|Primary Creator:||Smith, Julia (1905-1989)|
|Subjects:||Copland, Aaron, 1900-1990, Girl Scouts of the United States of America., Parker, Cynthia Ann, 1827?-1864, Smith, Julia, 1905-1989|
|Access Restrictions:||Access to this collection is provided only by special arrangement. Please contact the Music Library for more information.|
|Use Restrictions:||Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Music Library. Copyright restrictions may apply.|
|Physical Access Note:||Collection is housed in the UNT Music Library. Advance notice for use is required. Please contact the Music Library for further information.|
|Related Materials:||See also: the Carl Friedberg Collection.|
|Finding Aid Revision History:||This finding aid was initially compiled by Katie Buehner, and adapted for this finding aid platform by Maristella Feustle.|
Browse by Series:
- [Series 1: Writings by and about Julia Smith],
- [Series 2: School-related materials],
- [Series 3: Programs],
- [Series 4: Women in Music],
- [Series 5: Various Operas],
- [Series 6: Cynthia Parker],
- [Series 7: Daisy],
- [Series 8: Correspondence],
- [Series 9: Newspaper and magazine clippings],
- [Series 10: Personal materials, catalogs, photos, other media and realia],
- [Series 11: Daisy cont'd.; The Gooseherd and the Goblin],
- [Series 12: Cynthia Parker cont'd.],
- [Series 13: The Stranger of Manzano; Maximilian and Carlota],
- [Series 14: Beau Austin; arrangements and manuscripts; Shepherdess and the Chimneysweep; Cock Crow; other composers],
- [Series 15: Oversized materials],
- [Series 16: Scrapbooks],
- [Series 17: Cassettes],
- [Series 18: Reels and VHS],
- [Series 19: Aaron Copland Manuscripts]
- Series 19: Aaron Copland Manuscripts
- Manuscript scores most likely transcribed in Julia Smith's hand.
- Box 67
- Folder 1: Preamble Hymn, 1949
"For the United Nations, for orchestra with speaking voice."
Text from the Preamble to the United Nations Charter. Orchestral score, commisioned by the National Broadcasting Company.
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. 15 pages of music, with 2 additional pages of "Themes in Sextette."
Completed at Sneden's Landing (now Palisades), NY, August 16-September 5, 1949.
- Folder 2: Symphony for Organ and Orchestra (First Symphony), ca. 1924
Prelude and fragments of other movements.
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. Six pages of music with blank pages at end.
- Folder 3: A Defeated Katherine, 1951 April
From the film The Heiress, based on the novel Washington Square by Henry James. Contents:
"A Defeated Katherine"
"The Garden Waltz"
"Fortune Hunting" (based on "Ring-Ching-A-Chin" folk song)
"The Proposal, Part 2"
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. 3 pages of music.
- Folder 4: Music for Movies, 1942 December 19
"To Darius Milhaud"
I. New England Countryside [from The City]
II. Barley Wagons [from Of Mice and Men]
III. Sunday Traffic [from The City]
IV. Story of Grover's Corners [from Our Town]
V. Threshing Machines [from Of Mice and Men]
Autograph score in pencil and black ink, 34 x 27.5 cm. 29 pages of music.
Completed at Oakland.
- Folder 5: Fanfare for the Common Man, 1942
For brass and percussion.
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. Two pages of music.
- Folder 6: Quiet City, 1940 September
Dedicated to Ralph Hawkes
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. Six pages of music.
Completed in September of 1940, in Lennox, Massachusetts and New York City.
Copyright 1941 by Boosey & Hawkes.
- Folder 7: Children's Suite, 1948
From The Red Pony, based on stories by John Steinbeck.
I. Morning on the Ranch
II. The Gift
III. "Dream March or (+) Circus Music"
IV. Walk to the Bunkhouse
V. Grandfather's Story
VI. Happy Ending
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. 71 pages of music.
- Folder 8: Our Town: Music from the Film Score, 1940
"To Leonard Bernstein"
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. 4 pages of music.
Copyright 1945 by Boosey & Hawkes.
- Folder 9: John Henry, 1940 February 25
"CBS Commission." For chamber orchestra. "Written on Hal Roach Studios [illegible] paper."
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. Three pages of music.
- Folder 10: Letter from Home, 1944
"Complete piano score by J.S." "Original version for radio orchestra commissioned by the American Broadcasting Co."
Autograph score in pencil, 34 x 27.5 cm. 5 pages of music.
- Folder 11: Quartet for Piano and Strings, 1950 October 20
"To Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge."
Manuscript score in pencil and black ink, 34 x 27.5 cm. 26 pages of music.
Completed at Sneden's Landing (now Palisades), NY.
Note likely from Smith: "I copied this between Jan 1-15, '51."
- Folder 12: Tone row sketch for Piano Quartet, ca. 1950
Manuscript in pencil. Includes tone row and several transformations of tone row from Piano Quartet (1950). Row is represented as 11-tone row (Bb-Ab-Gb-Fb-D-B-C#-D#-E#-C-G-Bb), with "A" noted as the missing twelfth tone on same line.
20 x 26.5 cm.