Department of Physics (1901 to present) | University of North Texas Special Collections
Physics was taught as a science class in 1901. In 1913 all the sciences were gathered in one Department of Science. The school tried several different styles of organization with the sciences for several years. In 1917, a Department of Physics was organized. In 1919, Physics was once again listed as a part of the Department of Science. By 1920, the department name had become the Department of Physical Sciences, which included chemistry and physics. This lasted until 1923, when Physics and Chemistry were listed separately in the catalog. Physics was listed as its own department in 1927.
By 1947, UNT had divided the areas of study into schools and colleges. Physics became part of the College of Arts and Sciences. The Department of Physics began listing graduate level course work in the 1946/47 catalog for students wishing to earn a master’s degree. A program leading to a Doctor of Philosophy in Physics was first offered in the 1965 – 1966 catalog.
Instructor/Department Head or Chair
Louis Lionel Miller, instructor, department head
Wallace Newton Masters
Louis Fred Connell, Jr., instructor
Jimmy Ray Sybert
Rogers Walker Redding
W. D. Deering, Acting Chair
Samuel E. Matteson
Floyd D. McDaniel, Interim Chair