C.R. Fowler Hardware Company was opened on January 13, 1913 as Fowler Implement Store. The business was established in a new brick building near the corner of McCart and First Streets, Krum, Texas. The store was founded by Clarence R. “CR” Fowler (1889-1972), who had moved to Krum from Denton, Texas, the previous year. Fowler’s sold everything “hardware” that the community might need, including stoves and buggies, as well as nuts, bolts, and tools. During the Great Depression, C.R. would trade farm machinery for oats from cash-strapped farmers. He ran the store for almost 60 years, and was succeeded by his son Francis “Pin” Fowler, who was also the first mayor of Krum.