University of North Texas Library Records, 1912-2011Add to your cart.

By Perri Hamilton and Rachel Motes

Collection Overview

Title: University of North Texas Library Records, 1912-2011Add to your cart.
ID: 02/24/ U0153
Primary Creator: University of North Texas. Libraries.
Extent: 79.0 Boxes
Arrangement: This collection is arranged in 11 series: 1) Library Administration Records; 2) Archive and Library Records; 3) Library Reports; 4) Posters; 5) Administration Council and Department Heads; 6) Libraries; 7) Publications; 8) Grants; 9) Surveys; 10) Circulation Documents; and 11) Photographs and Scrapbooks.
Date Acquired: 00/00/2014
Forms of Material: Administrative records
Flyers (printed matter)
Publications (documents)
Surveys (documents)
Languages: English


Administrative records, publications, and other materials related to the operations of the University of North Texas Libraries.

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection contains a variety of publications from the UNT Libraries such as newsletters, interlibrary correspondence documents, scrapbooks, photographic materials, flyers and invitations for specific events, other documents, surveys and publications that reflect the work of the the library administrative office.

Biographical Note

The University of North Texas's first library consisted of a collection of books housed in the Normal Building.  he room was twelve by twenty feet with only one window and shelves on all sides of the room. After the Normal Building burned down in 1907, the library restarted in the Main Building. The Library moved or expanded into various buildings around campus as it has grown and its programs have developed over the years.  In 1912-1913, the collection moved to the first building constructed to house a library.  Originally called “the Library,” it is now Curry Hall. In 1937, a new library building was needed to house the expanded collection and staff. When opened it was also called “the Library.”  Today the structure is Sycamore Hall. When the library grew too large for the 1937 building, a new structure went up on what had previously been part of the first football field at UNT. Dedicated in 1978 and named for a Board of Regent’s member A. M. Willis, the building housed only part of the library’s holdings. Part of the library’s books and journals stayed in the 1937 structure, its name changing to the Information Sciences Building.

The library developed a Media Library in the 1970s, which quickly outgrew its space in Willis. It moved to the General Academic Building. By 1989-1990, the Media Library moved into a renovated Chilton Hall.

Originally a Texas Instruments building, the Board of Regents approved the purchase of the structure and land in 2002. Opened as Research Park, the name change to Discovery Park reflect the goals of the facility. It houses engineering, computer sciences, Information Sciences, and a part of the Libraries that caters to the sciences.

Hired in 1903, Pearl McCracken was the first trained librarian at the University of North Texas (then known as North Texas State Teachers College).  She was also the first person to teach Library Science classes. She retired in 1939.

The following are the directors, deans, and interim deans that shaped the history of the UNT libraries.

            Dr. William Stanley Hoole, Director, 1929-1944.

            Dr. Arthur Sampley, Director, 1946-1954

            David Aiken Webb, Director, 1954-1978

            Dr. Edward R. Johnson, Director, 1979-1987

            Margaret Galloway, Interim Director, 1987-1988

            Dr. Donald Grose, Director/University Librarian/Dean, 1988-2009

            Dr. Martin Halbert, Dean, 2009-2017

            Cathy N. Hartman, Interim Dean, 2017-2018

            Diane Bruxwoort, Dean, 2018-

Subject/Index Terms

Access Information

Access Restrictions:

This collection is not restricted.

Use Restrictions:

Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Special Collections department. Copyright restrictions may apply.

Physical Access Note:

This collection is stored off-site and requires a minimum of 24 hour notice prior to use.

Reading Room or Duplication Requests

Depending on any access restrictions noted above, you may be able to request items be delivered to our reading room, or that we make reproductions for you. Just click on either the or icons in the listings below to be routed to our request form.

Administrative Information

Repository: University of North Texas Special Collections
Acquisition Source: Library Administrative Office
Acquisition Method: Gift
Preferred Citation: University of North Texas Library Records, 1891 - Present, University of North Texas Special Collections
Processing Information: Series 2, 3, and 5 are minimally processed.
Finding Aid Revision History:

Rachel Motes processed the accretion of [Boxes 39, 40, & 41] to this collection on 06/06/2017 along with [Box 172] on 08/01/2017 and [Box 43] on 08/09/2017.

Website Development Work Team Records was merged into the University of North Texas Library Records starting with Box 173 on 11/2018.


Some finding aids are quite large and may take a minute or more to load. This message will dissapear when the page has fully loaded.

Search this Finding Aid

Box and Folder Listing