Laboratory School Collection, 1924-1970Add to your cart.

Collection Overview

Title: Laboratory School Collection, 1924-1970Add to your cart.
ID: 02/21/ UB.5a
Primary Creator: Training / Demonstration / Laboratory School
Extent: 27.0 Boxes
Arrangement: There is one box of papers containng correspondence and financial material and the scrapbooks are arranged by date.
Subjects:
Forms of Material: Correspondence
Publications (documents)
Scrapbooks

Abstract

This collection contains documents and  scrapbooks that document the activities of the elementary and secondary school system run by the University of North Texas from the early 1900s until 1969.

Scope and Contents of the Materials

Contains the papers of the Laboratory School concerning the business and historical records of the North Texas State University elementary and secondary school system including bank statements, bills, checks, clippings, correspondence, financial notes, a ledger, minutes, newspapers, photographs, programs, receipts, scrapbooks and yearbooks

Biographical Note

In 1913, W. H. Bruce, president of North Texas State Teachers College, asked the State Legislature for an appropriation to begin a Demonstration or Training School on the campus.  The school opened in January 1914, and was known as the Training School. It was housed in a seven-room temporary frame building later known as the men’s gymnasium.  Maude L. Fiero was the director. There were five other teachers who taught one hundred students in the seven grades.

A grade would be added in 1914 and again in 1916. L. P. Floyd was the principal until 1917 when A. S. Keith assumed that position. L. P. Floyd became the director in 1918. At that time the school was moved to the first floor of the Manual Arts Building. It would move again in 1919. Its new home was in the Education Building. This structure was located in what is now an open field bordered on three sides by Sycamore Hall, Sage Hall, and the University Union.

The tenth grade was added during the 1919-1920 school year. A kindergarten department was added to the school in 1920. In February of that year J. N. Simmons was named the director.  J. M. Simmons died in 1921.  He was succeeded by Dr. G. A. Odom as director.  In September 1925, Dr L. A. Sharp was named director. The eleventh grade was added in that same year. The result was that the last sub-college classes were moved to the Demonstration School.  The school now had a full time, accredited, High School. There were 35 graduates in May 1926.

Dr. J. C. Matthews became the director in 1937. The following two directors were Dr Harrel F. Garrison, Dr. Wayne Adams, and Dr. C. M. Clarke. People who have served as principals included: Dr. H. B. Masters, Mr. Garland H. Holloman, Mr. John Faggard, Dr. A. H. Wood, Miss Mary Ruth Cook, and Mr. J. L. Burks.

The Demonstration School had a Parent-Teacher Association with two separate units, each with its own set of officers, as well as a set of officers for the general association. This organization is documented starting in the 1948-1949 yearbook. There were three general meetings. The Parent-Teacher Association sponsored a traffic safety campaign and was successful in getting marked pedestrian crossings and a signal light on Chestnut and Avenue B.

The Demonstration School merged with the Denton public schools in 1950. At this time the school’s name was changed to the North Texas State College Laboratory School. The College leased the buildings to the Denton public schools for $1.00.

The seventh through ninth grades were made into Denton’s second junior high school. The Senior High students were transferred to the Denton High School. [Campus Chat, 1950-09-27]

The Demonstration/Laboratory School was last listed in the university “Bulletin” in 1969-1970.

Subject/Index Terms

Access Information

Access Restrictions:

Boxes 1375 and 1376 of this collection are restricted.

Use Restrictions:

Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Archives and Rare Books department. Copyright restrictions may apply.

Physical Access Note:

Collection is housed in the UNT Archives and Rare Book department vault. The UNT Archives and Rare Book department requires a 24 hour notice from patrons in order to page materials from vault and ready the materials for use. Please contact the UNT Archives and Rare Book department for further information.

Reading Room or Duplication Requests

Depending on any access restrictions noted above, you may be able to request items be delivered to our reading room, or that we make reproductions for you. Just click on either the or icons in the listings below to be routed to our request form.

Administrative Information

Repository: University of North Texas Special Collections
Acquisition Method: Gift
Preferred Citation: Laboratory School Collection, University of North Texas Special Collections

Loading...

Some finding aids are quite large and may take a minute or more to load. This message will dissapear when the page has fully loaded.

Search this Finding Aid

Box and Folder Listing

Additional Links

top
Page Generated in: 0.647 seconds (using 287 queries).
Using 7.24MB of memory. (Peak of 7.69MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign