Teaching Slide Collection, 1910-1940Add to your cart.

Collection Overview

Title: Teaching Slide Collection, 1910-1940Add to your cart.
ID: 02/ U0425
Primary Creator: Historical Collection (University of North Texas)
Extent: 44.0 Boxes
Arrangement: The slides are arranged into two primary series and ordered by number within each series. Series 1: Keystone contains lantern slides manufactured by the Keystone Company. Series 2: Teaching Slides contains a general collection of lantern slides on a diverse range of subjects.
Forms of Material: Lantern slides
Languages: English


A collection of latern slides that were used in early classes at the University of North Texas.

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection contains lantern slides (glass slides) from the University of North Texas which were used to help educate students on world history, geography, religion, music, art and a variety of other subjects. The estimated dates for this collection are 1910-1940. The slides were given to the Historical Collection, then moved into the University Archives in 1986.

Biographical Note

Dr. Joseph Lyman Kingsbury, a member of the History faculty, founded a museum on campus 1925 “In the two and one half years that I have been engaged in this work the Historical Collections have grown from a few hundred items to about seven thousand and we are now occupying three rooms of the third floor of the Library building of the Teacher’s College….It is the ambition of both President Marquis and myself to make the Historical Collections the largest in the United States…We are determined to make a collection that shall be comprehensive.”[ a letter from Dr. Kingsbury to Mr. Dick Chapman, 1928-11-01]

            “In the spring of 1925, the students of the Criddle Society voted to sponsor a museum in memory of E. D. Criddle, the history department head who had just died.  The first few exhibits were quartered in the history offices in the Administration Building [now the Auditorium Building]. A year later the Board of Regents named Dr. J. L. Kingsbury of the history faculty a curator of the Historical Collection, which was given one room on the third floor of the Library Building [now known as Curry Hall].  Two ore rooms had been taken over by 1929.  In March 1930 the legislature designated the college museum as a State Historical Collection.  Dr. Kingsbury by 1931 had developed a collection of manuscripts and documents, arms and weapons from 1840 through the World War, articles representing American economic and industrial development, foreign items, and archives of the college.” [The Story of North Texas, James Rogers, p174]

            Eventually the Historical Collection would be moved down stairs and take over all the rooms on the first floor.  The museum had a large collections of firearms, dolls, blue glass, and ethnographic artifacts.  It was closed in 1986. Part of the collection went to the Layland Museum in Cleburne, Texas.  Artifacts that had been placed on loan to the museum were returned or became the property of the state. Some of the artifacts remain in the collection of Special Collections.

Subject/Index Terms

Access Information

Access Restrictions:

This collection is not restricted.

Use Restrictions:

Reproduction and publication of materials in this collection are subject to the policies of the UNT Special Collections department. Copyright restrictions may apply.

Physical Access Note:

This collection is stored off-site and requires a minimum of 24 hour notice prior to use.

Reading Room or Duplication Requests

Depending on any access restrictions noted above, you may be able to request items be delivered to our reading room, or that we make reproductions for you. Just click on either the or icons in the listings below to be routed to our request form.

Administrative Information

Repository: University of North Texas Special Collections
Acquisition Source: Historical Collection
Acquisition Method: Transfer
Preferred Citation: Teaching Slide Collection, University of North Texas Special Collections


Some finding aids are quite large and may take a minute or more to load. This message will dissapear when the page has fully loaded.

Search this Finding Aid

Box and Folder Listing

Additional Links

Page Generated in: 0.2 seconds (using 223 queries).
Using 6.91MB of memory. (Peak of 7.15MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign