Name: University of North Texas.Variant Name: Texas Normal College and Teachers Training Institute; North Texas Normal College; North Texas State Normal College; North Texas State Teachers College; North Texas State College; NT State University



Historical Note:

“The University of North Texas originated in 1890 when Joshua C. Chilton founded the Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute.  A private institution, the normal college operated for the first eleven years of its live in buildings provided by the City of Denton.  An 1893 act of the Texas State legislature allowing the school to certify teachers added the work “North” to its name.  In 1901, the Texas State Board of Education, pursuant to an 1899 act of the state legislature, took control of the school and renamed it North Texas State Normal College.  The school awarded its first bachelor’s degrees in 1919 and changed its name to North Texas State Teachers College in 1923.  Two years later, the secondary-school program (a feature of normal schools in this era) was consigned to a separate Demonstration School, allowing North Texas to receive accreditation from the Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools of Southern States.  Graduate study began in 1935, and the college gradually moved toward emphasis on liberal arts study as well as education programs.  In 1949 the Texas Legislature recognized the school’s growth by renaming it North Texas State College and by authorizing a separate Board of Regents. North Texas began to award doctoral degrees in education and music during the 1950’s, and in 1961, as a recognition of increasing emphasis on research and graduate study, the state legislature approved yet another name, North Texas State University.  The University grew very rapidly and became the largest, most comprehensive public institution of higher learning in Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex by the early 1970s. In 1988, the legislature approved the present name, the University of North Texas.

“In January 1999 the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board authorized the creation of the UNT System Center at Dallas.  This Center offers junior, senior, and graduate-level courses leading to the completion of baccalaureate and master’s degree programs, certificates, and endorsements.  In January, 2000 the UNT System Center at Dallas opened a new facility at 8915 South Hampton Road.  The university leases the 78,000 Spare food facility which features state-of-the-art classrooms and computer labs, and the first virtual library in the Metroplex. Inquires about the System Center should be made to the Executive Director at 972-780-3601 for email untdallas@unt.edu.”

[Faculty Handbook, 2007-2008]



Digital Content Created by University of North Texas.

Additional Links

top
Page Generated in: 0.112 seconds (using 153 queries).
Using 6.56MB of memory. (Peak of 6.75MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign