Name: Princeton Film Center, Inc. (1941-)Variant Name: PFC
The Princeton Film Center (PFC) was formed by Gordon Knox in 1941 in Princeton, New Jersey. Growing rapidly, in 1943 the Film Center settled in a larger house in Princeton Township with room for its expanding production and distribution services. In 1948 the Film Center moved again five miles from Princeton to a state-of-the-art facility, including its own theater, a five thousand square feet sound stage, an employees’ commissary and a wing dedicated to its film library and distribution department.
The company produced many films during World War II, for entities such as the Institute of Pacific Relations, the CIAA, and Boeing Aircraft. The PFC distributed CIAA and Office of War Information films, as well as other educational and informational films.
After the war the PFC created several hundred short and feature-length documentaries for the United States Armed Forces, state and federal governments, non-profit organizations and the private sector. In 1948, for example, the PFC produced a series of films on life in the Venezuelan countryside, financed by American and British petroleum companies and operating out of a custom-built Flexible bus.