Name: University of North Texas System. Board of Regents
The State Normal School Board of Regents was the governing body for all state normal schools in Texas, not just the University of North Texas. The University was actually called the North Texas State Normal College and the North Texas State Teachers College during the years 1911 - 1949. The name was changed to North Texas State College in 1949 and the shared governing board's name was changed to the Board of Regents of the Texas State Colleges. In 1949 a bill was introduced to create a separate Board of Regents for North Texas State College. The bill was signed by Governor Jester on May 23, 1949. In 1961, the University's name was changed to North Texas State University. The name changed for the seventh time to the University of North Texas in 1988.
The second series of records contains the Board of Regents meeting records for the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, a private college which was founded in 1970. The school joined North Texas state University (now the University of North Texas) in 1975. It was assigned to the North Texas State University's Board of Regents. The school was renamed the University of Health Science Center in 1993. The Board continued to hold separate Board meetings for the Health Science Center until the University of North Texas System structure was finalized in 2002. Board of Regents for the University of North Texas System includes the University of North Texas, The University of North Texas Health Science Center, and the University of North Texas at Dallas. These meetings of the Board to govern the entire University system as a whole began in 2002.
Rogers, J.L. (2002). The story of North Texas. Denton, TX: University of North Texas Press.