Name: Sanders, J.A.
J.A. Sanders was one of the first faculty members of the Texas Normal College where he joined as an instructor of business classes in the 1890-1891 school year. He remained a member of the faculty through the early 1900s, and was the only faculty member from the private institution to stay on staff after the school became a state institution. Over the course of his career at North Texas, he taught Bookkeeping, Penmanship, and Mathematics.
Sanders vied multiple times to purchase or lease the Normal College. In 1894, he contended to lease the building after the Denton City Council called for proposals, but the council took no action. In 1898, along with Menter B. Terrill and other associates, Sanders proposed to purchase the Normal Building and surrounding grounds only to withdraw the proposal three days later.
In 1907, Sanders wrote an obituary for the Normal Building in the Normal Journal after the building was struck by lightning and subsequently burned down. Sanders was also a member of Denton's first musical organization.