Name: Student Health and Wellness Center



Historical Note: The University of North Texas formally instituted medical services in 1918.  The school, then known as North Texas State Normal College, bought the medical facilities that were part of the U. S. Army’s Student Training Corps at the end of World War I.  Faculty, staff, and students paid a dollar each to purchase the house, medical equipment, and pay the salary of the nurse, who agreed to stay at the College. This first Hospital building was located roughly were today’s Sycamore Hall stands.  The College purchased the house next door in order to expand the space needed for ill students. The structures  were called the College Sanitarium. In 1933, a one-story brick veneer building opened as the College Hospital. It sat on Avenue A and Chestnut Street. An addition, the Hospital Annex, joined the health services in 1935. The building employed a structure from Camp Howze that the Federal Works Agency arranged to have moved to the UNT campus. It was a single story building measuring 25 feet wide and 152 feet long. It housed two wards of eight beds, 2 wards of six beds, and five individual rooms.  It also had an examination room and an x-ray room. In 1958, the Health Center opened.  It was located on Chestnut Street and Avenue C. It was a south facing, two story “T” shaped building that was built to hold 74 beds. The Board of Regents approved the addition of an emergency ramp entrance in 1982. This building was demolished in 2007 with the opening of Chestnut Hall.  This new facility houses the Health and Wellness area, Career Center, Counseling and Testing Services, Student Money Management Center, and the Wellness Resource and Substance Abuse Resource Cen


Records or Manuscript Collections Created by Student Health and Wellness Center

Additional Links

top
Page Generated in: 0.086 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.9MB of memory. (Peak of 6.03MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign